Close

Re: Oculus Rift and Industrial Design

Postby engio » August 8th, 2017, 5:05 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

@Cyberdemon:
I want to explore and pitch an idea for a VR experience at my work place. Can you recommend a reading list, software, etc if I wanted to try to create a quick and dirty VR experience? I don't have any hardware, so it would have to be for Google Cardboard. Ideally I want to reuse Solidworks CAD data, but the fidelity doesn't matter - SketchUp level would suffice. My aim is to tickle some nerves and get budget for "real" hardware and resources to take it further.

Is there a way for interaction with the "Cardboard" platform? I assume you can buy some bluetooth device to connect to your phone?

Postby Cyberdemon » August 8th, 2017, 8:19 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

engio wrote:@Cyberdemon:
I want to explore and pitch an idea for a VR experience at my work place. Can you recommend a reading list, software, etc if I wanted to try to create a quick and dirty VR experience? I don't have any hardware, so it would have to be for Google Cardboard. Ideally I want to reuse Solidworks CAD data, but the fidelity doesn't matter - SketchUp level would suffice. My aim is to tickle some nerves and get budget for "real" hardware and resources to take it further.

Is there a way for interaction with the "Cardboard" platform? I assume you can buy some bluetooth device to connect to your phone?

The easiest tool is Unity. It's free and has plugins for every SDK including cardboard:

https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/get-started

Unity has tons of documentation and can easily import assets from just about everything including OBJ/FBX/Sketchup files. Once you have the basic parameters setup you can push whatever 3D models into your VR environment.

In terms of interactivity, there are lots of options but that may require some level of light coding/scripting or finding some other libraries. Unity makes it drag and drop and there are lots of tutorials, so even if you've never written a line of code in your life don't feel overwhelmed.

Google Daydream may be worth the upgrade if it supports your current phone. Otherwise they make cheapo bluetooth remotes and keyboards which can emulate controls. ex http://a.co/bQujIav

Postby engio » August 9th, 2017, 2:23 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

Fantastic! Thanks!

Postby AVClub » August 25th, 2017, 8:01 am

AVClub
step two
step two

I think VR is interesting, but I will admit I didn't love it when I tried it. Its uncomfortable and the disconnect between what I'm feeling and seeing is too far for me to really believe it. I have been seeing a few designers on instagram posting VR sketching videos which has been pretty cool, but looks super uncomfortable, I could see working out a more refined design through it but I can't imaging doing thumbnail/ heavy concept sketching in it.

Postby Mr-914 » October 4th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Mr-914

It's hard to describe exactly how this podcast fits in with our discussion, but it brings up some more human points of VR. Mainly, how does narrative structure work with VR games. Also, they discuss a little bit how the not participating and zoning-out during a film or TV show might open our perspectives to new ideas. Because VR demands interaction, it might actually limit our openness to some ideas and stories.

http://teamhuman.fm/episodes/ep-49-michael-frederickson-awe/
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Previous

Return to general design discussion