Close

Re: What is High Design

Postby jGray » April 26th, 2016, 11:38 am

jGray
step four
step four

the way i think about it -
Design that asks a question more than it answers = high design.
- jg

Postby yo » April 26th, 2016, 12:28 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think that is a good way to think about it.

since we are visual people:
Attachments
214237787_9a20e17de7_o2.jpg
214237787_9a20e17de7_o2.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Do-hit-chair-by-Marijn-van-der-Poll-for-Droog-02.jpg
Do-hit-chair-by-Marijn-van-der-Poll-for-Droog-02.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
proto_treetrunk_bench_01.jpg
proto_treetrunk_bench_01.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

Postby Sasha » April 27th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Sasha

Just before the 18th century, those who considered themselves to be cultured and wealthy wanted to buy and share artworks that were of a higher class. They created the term 'high art', to signify that only cultured peoples would understand and appreciate it. They also include foods, like Foie gras and caviar, to be only appreciated by people with a high-culture appetite. High Design is a same thing. Very much for high-class peoples. High design stems from the idea that money is no longer important. The people who have High Design are so wealthy and educated, that the money does not matter. Only the design matters. This is High Design, and goes very much against the concept of Democratic Design - the idea that everyone can appreciate good design.

Postby cwatkinson » February 3rd, 2017, 9:01 am

cwatkinson

Karim Rashid would be a good example of high design - or something.

I find more pictures of him in different poses then actual items he designed......

Postby AVClub » February 6th, 2017, 4:05 pm

AVClub
step two
step two

cwatkinson wrote:Karim Rashid would be a good example of high design - or something.

I find more pictures of him in different poses then actual items he designed......

Really? Karim Rashid has a ton of products that have hit the market, many of them are somewhat low cost products made for the masses, such as his Umbra products and the work has has done for Bobble.

Postby yo » February 6th, 2017, 6:41 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I like a lot of Karim's products, especially a lot of the low cost ones. He was early on that high design/low cost trend with Umbra in the 90's before Target went national. Just get past the selfies. :-) I've met him and spent some time with him and was really impressed by his thinking and how amicable he is. I found him much more personable and friendly than other semi-superstar designers who you read about and he had more thought behind his design decisions as well.

Previous

Return to general design discussion