Too Many Sketch Journeys

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your insight and experience.

A take home message from this thread is to type in caps wisely :slight_smile:

Perhaps differing definitions of what ‘sketching’ is and what it’s for underlie these debates. I do realise that it’s far more than making pretty pictures for the sake of it. I’m seeing the visual exploration of form and function and for problem solving, both technical and aesthetic. Design sketching is definitely outcome driven but, while it’s not art, surely it is advantageous for it to look ‘good’.

I may have been misled, but the importance of sketching does seem to outweigh things like cad design and hand modelling in the multi-discipline skill-set I’m being taught. My studies may not reflect the reality of working in the industry however, as people have suggested, so I’ll keep that in mind.

Also, I’m thinking it might be a personal thing; about how an individual designer best thinks, experiments and communicates. One of my lecturers admitted up front that, because of his limitations as a drawer, he focused heavily on physical modelling and prototyping skills in his decades of professional work. So I suppose people can either aim to play on their strengths, strengthen their weaknesses or just do what the job requires.

I’ve committed to a personal ‘sketch journey’ but, given the person I am, it may be counter productive to put my work out there for public criticism. A few nuggets I’ve since come across in these forums; “Think of a whole set of sketches that you never have to show anyone. Drawing for an audience puts expectations that hinder your freedom to experiment and explore.” And, “…your first 1000 sketches will be crap.” I’m really only at THAT stage right now.

Regardless, I appreciate any advice and support.

Luke