Design centers in China?

Hey everyone,

I’m planning to move to China for a year or two to teach English. While I’m there, I’d like to build some international contacts in the design industry as well. What cities would be good for this? Are there any Tier-2 cities that have a healthy design community? I’d like to stay away from the megacities if possible but I’d like to hear what everyone has to say!

I’d really like to get into robotics, drones, and wearable tech.

Hi InvertedVantage,

I wouldn’t rule out nearby places like Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, as there established design communities located there.

After a quick google search, here’s one of the leading manufacturers of drones in Shenzhen - DJI

As far as I’m aware, the larger cities/hubs for design communities generally based in the capitals/tier one cities. It seems the market for design is expanding in Shanghai, with international companies opening offices there.

A less populated location that has a design community is Hangzhou, which I’ve seen a few ID posts cropping up every so often.

Best of luck

I agree with Tangofan, the big hubs are in Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Guangzhou. i have seen also some in Shunde and Xiamen, but if you are looking to get into electronics the place to go is Shenzhen for sure.