Administration

Yah, those are awesome.

Re: coolest watch

Postby KenoLeon » May 27th, 2015, 3:39 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Let me tell you about my watch:

I recently got into watches ( sign of old age ?), so of course I obsess about them now.

I got this Seiko 5 to commemorate finishing a long project last year, for me it strikes the perfect balance in between being affordable and being a kick ass timepiece. The movement has been fine-tuned over many many years and has become a bit of a cult item:

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/seiko-model-5-hacking/

It was relatively cheap ($125 for the Japanese version) and it gains about a minute every month, it has been ticking without interruption for almost a year now and I have learned a lot about watches and automatic movements just by staring at it's back and reading watch forums, if I could design my perfect watch, I would use this movement and just change the face/case.

seiko5Sports02.jpg
You could say I am a measured man.
seiko5Sports02.jpg (127.58 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Attachments
seiko5Sports01.jpg
It's like a tiny factory in there.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby bepster » July 4th, 2015, 3:22 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

KenoLeon wrote: I got this Seiko 5 to commemorate finishing a long project last year, for me it strikes the perfect balance in between being affordable and being a kick ass timepiece. The movement has been fine-tuned over many many years and has become a bit of a cult item:
[/attachment]

Great find! Didn't know about this but will definitely keep my eye out. Lovely time piece.

Watches here in the Geneva region are of course insane. People are being judged on what they wear on their wrists.
But it's about status more than anything.

I actually like to make a statement by wearing a vintage Casio or Seiko to not get drawn into this sometimes cultish obsession with high end watches.

Postby sonofscrotum » July 6th, 2015, 4:30 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

Asking for the coolest watch these days is like asking for the best hair piece. :lol:

Postby rkuchinsky » July 6th, 2015, 5:11 pm

rkuchinsky

sonofscrotum wrote:Asking for the coolest watch these days is like asking for the best hair piece. :lol:

I have no idea what that means..

I just picked this up. Garmin Fenix 3 Sapphire. GPS Multisport Watch with Sapphire Crystal.

Full Multisport GPS function (I use it for running) tracks all the usual data (pace, speed, distance, altitude), plus temperature, incline, waypoints, etc. and with the chest HRM also does vertical oscillation, cadence, stride length, ground contact time and of course heart rate. Does daily activity tracking too including steps and sleep and advises training including V02Max and recovery time.

In addition, it's a smart watch so you get notifications from your phone via Bluetooth for email, FB, Instagram, calendar, etc. and you can download (limited) different watch faces and a few different widgets and sport activity apps like sun rise/set,

Surprisingly the UI and connectivity is really good. It just works. Once paired with the phone via BT, syncs are automatic. Download a new watch face on your phone, it is on your watch in 10s. Do a run and the data is already in the Garmin app (also can sync with Nike+). There's online dashboard as well with other social features, training calendars and challenges, etc. but I haven't really used it much.

It also comes with an anodized metal band so totally wearable day to day. It's a BIG watch.

Pretty nice watch for a sport watch. Got the black one of course.

Not my pics.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby KenoLeon » July 6th, 2015, 11:39 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks Bepster, rkuchinsky -the Garmin looks pretty cool and bomb proof.

I also don't know what SOS meant, but it raises a valid question; are watches sill relevant ?

My take is that they are, the global watch industry is worth about 45-60 billion dollars, out of which mechanical watches represent something like 70% of sales, and smartwatches are estimated to only complement those numbers. As time keeping devices the smartphone has mostly replaced them (sales of watches curiously increased during the recent mass adoption ), but as jewelry (especially for men) and status symbols they remain unchallenged, or as they say why buy a $100,000 dollar watch ?, because you can't drive a Porsche into the restaurant.

They are also beautiful and difficult things to design once you start getting into the restrictions of the mechanical movements and the established language of say an aviator design vs a chrono vs a diver, and are somehow untapped in my view (Shinola with all it's faults seems to be doing fine for instance) , anyways just my 2 cts.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Robbie_roy » July 7th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

@R: That is great to hear, I am glad you like it. I'll have to show a few people your post ... : )

Aark has been mentioned before but I can't get over their Eon black. Wacky but so cool.

https://aarkcollective.com/products/eon-black

Postby Modern Man » July 9th, 2015, 11:40 am

Modern Man
step three
step three

Modern Man's uniform is simple. He keeps his essence pure; his body unadorned and unencumbered with a brands, labels, tattoos, piercings or other assorted jewelry.

Modern Man's favorite watch is the nearest device with a clock.
A man of today.

Postby yo » July 9th, 2015, 1:19 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

wouldn't the closest device with a clock indeed be your watch?

Postby iab » July 9th, 2015, 4:10 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Correct.

It would be difficult to be closer than pressed up against your skin.

I think a clock implant would be ridiculous. But that's just my .02.

Postby Modern Man » July 9th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Modern Man
step three
step three

iab wrote:Correct.

It would be difficult to be closer than pressed up against your skin.

I think a clock implant would be ridiculous. But that's just my .02.

And there is precisely the rub, why would Modern Man want an Apple Watch, let alone an iChip consider that he already has an iPhone?

/ Modern Man is destined to someday inherit a Rolex for which he'll have no use either.

// The only thing Modern Man ever likes pressed up against his skin is a beautiful nude woman.
A man of today.

Postby iab » July 10th, 2015, 7:57 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

So you walk around nekkid?

Probably not atypical for LA.

Postby Modern Man » July 10th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Modern Man
step three
step three

iab wrote:So you walk around nekkid?

Probably not atypical for LA.

Within the privacy of Modern Man's home, that happens on occasion, sure.

Otherwise, the uniform mainly consists of semi-loose fitting garments made of cotton and or linen.

A man of today.

Postby Sain » November 2nd, 2015, 8:22 pm

Sain
full self-realization
full self-realization

Movado_Missing Ticks.png

So theres been quite a bit of blog press on the Movado watch designed by Yves. But noticed today that the dial surfacing is missing an index. Hopefully its just a photomodel error
emmanuel carrillo - emmanuelcarrillo.com

Previous

Return to general design discussion