Beats and Ammunition

When you dominate a market and become ubiquitous, creative minds in a brand and marketing look for strategies to stay edgy and to meet the sectors of the market that avoid the mainstream. Swatch did this in Europe with releasing very small collector batches of watches in unusual places. One was a series of vegetable watches that were only sold once in a actual vegetable morning street market. Collector value was high. They were able to maintain the buzz of their brand for a long time.

[Edit: The Snarkitecture marble pillow resting place concept I really like, it calls to mind the classical history of marble sculpture, statues in the Louvre, the earliest expressions of skeuomorphism, making stone look like something else. It is an over the top, extravagant and calls to mind that the original works were often funerary works. I like the cynicism.]
The Snarkitecture set, looks more like resin poured in a plastic bag than actual marble. (Just read the Snarkitecture page “cultured marble” lol, = white gypsum cement as per their previous iphone pillow.) This seems a stab at exclusivity, an actual carved (hand or CNC) marble pillow would be more meaningful, even if the price was $2400. Maybe they need a collaboration with Mr. Koons as it has crossed into the art/commercial territory. :smiley:

My personal desire for a stripped down aesthetic is obviously not a mainstream direction. Trend subscription and designing for the trends of the market are what build billion dollar brands and huge audiences of loyal consumers. Listening to, and designing for aspirations of the users is far more important that trying to make each “thing” the ultimate design.