vessyl

On the big data point…For anyone who has ever collected data for an extended period of time (i.e. 2 to 5 years) this product opens an interesting window into ones drinking behaviors. Understanding how our intake of liquids during the holidays, over the course of several winter seasons or while on numerous vacations can lead to some interesting insights over time. To be able to compare month on month, vacation to vacation from year to year seems interesting to me.

The trouble with data however is that it needs to be collected with a high level of quality and discipline. Forgetting your Vessyl at home and missing a few data recordings over time will obviously alter the outcome and quality of the collected data. This products value proposition does not lie in its ability to identify liquids per se, but rather in a comparative data collection period of no less than 2 years as I see it.

This product is asking a lot of discipline from the consumer in order to achieve its value proposition and is a perfect example of Silicon Valley bubble thinking that will only “work” inside of SV…vociferous Bay Area Quantified Self adherents only please.