Why is ID on the DL?

The word ‘Industrial’ will probably need to be dropped or replaced, or only used for things pertaining to industrial mass-manufacture. There won’t be much of a difference between industry and the everyday consumer world anymore when consumers turn into makers and local manufacturing hubs start popping up. I see the term ‘Product Designer’ better fit, although mainly we’re simply designers and then everyone could have their own subterm for their specific field I guess.

More on topic -even if I’m sort of guessing what DL means since I’m Dutch- it seems to me that ID is on the rise because people have an innate tendency to awaken their creative powers. I see ID’ers mainly as creative forces and as integrators of several disciplines - the ones who can make technology societally relevant, and beautiful. I think many people feel this need to develop themselves more integrally, and that their specific expertise is only a means to an end. In the end, we’ll all probably be functioning more like autonomous innovators, tightly integrated into the global community but with our own set of skills, knowledge, identity, design philosophy and a clear vision as to how we’re contributing to the whole.