step four

360 Panoramic Ball Camera

Re: GoPro on 60 Minutes

Postby Hoodzy » November 14th, 2013, 10:39 am

Hoodzy
step three
step three

Speaking of gopro and helmet cams.
Why was there no helmet cam on one of the coolest thing done in the past 5 years!?
Felix Baumgartner jump has about 5 seconds of cool footage and then they show a dark fuzz falling through unfocused sky from a camera on the ground.

Postby NURB » November 14th, 2013, 10:58 am

NURB

Probably in case he died...

Falling at 700mph and stuck in a flat spin probably doesn't make for quality footage. First few seconds and last few minutes would w cool though.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Cyberdemon » November 14th, 2013, 11:00 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

They did post it, just obviously wasn't in real time (GoPro get on your 4G Streaming module)

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/terrifyin ... pin-153169

Also, I'm pretty sure he dies at 1:12 and then comes back to life. Woops!

Postby Hoodzy » November 14th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three

Nice!! That footage is intense!
He does die for about a second there!

Postby Boosted561 » November 18th, 2013, 11:12 am

Boosted561
step four
step four

I've always been intrigued by this catagory. I'm curious what others think of why GoPro has been so successful when it comes to keeping competitors at bay. I've always thought (still do) that the Contour form factor is a more successful execution of the function. Everything from the slide on/off switch to the barrel shape allowing a more dynamic form for mounting on various items. However, GoPro has just managed to saturate everything when it comes to this industry to the point that I don't believe the average consumer even knows there's anything else out there.

Truly an amazing feat of accomplishment for the staff of GoPro.

Postby engio » November 18th, 2013, 2:05 pm

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

Boosted561 wrote:I've always been intrigued by this catagory. I'm curious what others think of why GoPro has been so successful when it comes to keeping competitors at bay. I've always thought (still do) that the Contour form factor is a more successful execution of the function. Everything from the slide on/off switch to the barrel shape allowing a more dynamic form for mounting on various items. However, GoPro has just managed to saturate everything when it comes to this industry to the point that I don't believe the average consumer even knows there's anything else out there.

Truly an amazing feat of accomplishment for the staff of GoPro.

Among many many reasons I find 2 particular easy ROI: GoPro stickers with every purchased camera (Apple copycat?), and freely available GoPro-clip to add to the end of your movie. Every clip you see you will know they used a GoPro one way or another. So when someone decides to get an actioncam they just get what they know everyone else has. Kinda like the iPod 7 years ago. Noone ever got fired picking the market leader..

It's great to see that someone can still become a young billionaire by creating something other than social media platforms..

Postby Greenman » November 20th, 2013, 10:38 am

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

Having used a Contour for the past 2 years for paintball I think that it's a superior design to the GoPro. To be fair it's because the Contour has a smaller form factor which is important in paintball as you want to keep a small profile, that and it's easier to mount to the gear. Still, there's guys who will mount the big boxy GoPro on top of their visor making it an easy target. I will concede that GoPro's got some higher resolution options and a better video tweaking ability.

Contour has had trouble competing and closed this year, but I believe was bought out and I hope they make a comeback. I think GoPro rose to the top of the market due mostly to good marketing, and Contour couldn't keep up. Then there's the Red7 camera developed specifically for paintball and marketed through paintball celebrity Greg Hastings, but I haven't looked into it much. http://www.r7usa.com/

And just for giggles here's our highlight video from Living Legends 6 in Chicago earlier in the year, shot with Contours set at 720p. I may or may not be the troll shooting people point blank with a pump rifle as they ran in my bunker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpvPeeOePeA
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby rrettger » November 20th, 2013, 10:44 am

rrettger

Greenman wrote:Having used a Contour for the past 2 years for paintball I think that it's a superior design to the GoPro. To be fair it's because the Contour has a smaller form factor which is important in paintball as you want to keep a small profile, that and it's easier to mount to the gear. Still, there's guys who will mount the big boxy GoPro on top of their visor making it an easy target. I will concede that GoPro's got some higher resolution options and a better video tweaking ability.

And just for giggles here's our highlight video from Living Legends 6 in Chicago earlier in the year, shot with Contours set at 720p. I may or may not be the troll shooting people point blank with a pump rifle as they ran in my bunker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpvPeeOePeA

Small world. You ever look into the Drift Innovation cameras? They strike me as the common ground between the GoPro and Contour. Buddy bought one for paintball (also Chicagoland) and snowboarding but I have yet to see footage. I would like something that fits well on a marker down the road.

GoPro 4k looks awesome specwise but, like you said, it doesnt fit anywhere that my DSLR couldnt go :)

Postby scrotum » November 21st, 2013, 4:42 pm

scrotum
full self-realization
full self-realization

Interesting that GoPro makes its founder a billionaire, while Contour can't even stay in business. I think Contour did a better i.d. job, but GoPro's marketing strategy was a lesson in how to go after the intended target market.

Postby topwebch » November 22nd, 2013, 1:49 pm

topwebch

That's awesome !

Postby sonofscrotum » March 13th, 2016, 7:10 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

GoPro's stock has been on a free fall for the past year. Either they're getting bought or going private.

Postby leenawilliams » March 14th, 2016, 2:30 am

leenawilliams

Great !!

Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion