Close

Re: GoPro on 60 Minutes

Postby Coffee87 » March 14th, 2016, 4:32 am

Coffee87
step three
step three

scrotum wrote:Interesting that GoPro makes its founder a billionaire, while Contour can't even stay in business. I think Contour did a better i.d. job, but GoPro's marketing strategy was a lesson in how to go after the intended target market.

I think GoPro is one of the best modern-era case studies of how to market and succeed in your product design based business.
Kinda shows that everything doesn`t have to be social media app based now to be succesful, there`s still hope for industrial design :lol:

* it also proves the importance of sales&marketing vs. the more perfect design (in the GrPro vs. Contour case).

Postby sonofscrotum » April 4th, 2016, 12:09 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

Another entry into the action camera arena.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11338 ... bilization

Postby sonofscrotum » June 16th, 2017, 3:21 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

If I had bought GoPro stock on the day that story aired on 60 Minutes I would have less than a quarter of my investment today. :shock:

Postby Mr-914 » June 19th, 2017, 8:20 am

Mr-914

It seems like when something hits 60 minutes, that's the signal that it can only go down.

Though, it has been a strange few years in product. Fitbit was near $50/share 2 years ago, $5 today. Fitbit and GoPro both had explosive sales, but quickly saturated the market and the petered out.

Perhaps the product adoption curve has shrunk around tech. It feels like a life cycle that would have taken 10 years before, now takes 2-3 years.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » June 19th, 2017, 10:21 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Mr-914 wrote:It seems like when something hits 60 minutes, that's the signal that it can only go down.

LOL, we always used to say at my last job that CES award was a sign that a product was going to bomb! :lol:

Postby iab » June 19th, 2017, 12:48 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mr-914 wrote:Perhaps the product adoption curve has shrunk around tech.

I think there is room for meaningful tech. I'm sorry, but Fitbit and GoPro are at best a temporary distraction and most definitely not meaningful.

Postby rkuchinsky » June 19th, 2017, 1:47 pm

rkuchinsky

iab wrote:
Mr-914 wrote:Perhaps the product adoption curve has shrunk around tech.

I think there is room for meaningful tech. I'm sorry, but Fitbit and GoPro are at best a temporary distraction and most definitely not meaningful.

Agreed. Hype > Actual use case.

Fitbit activity monitor sounds like a cool thing. Reality though is that if you are already active, you don't need a plastic bracelet to tell you to walk or if you walked 10,000 steps. If you aren't active, a fitbit won't make you be active. Sure you might want to do a bit more/less, but it's not the life changing device that people had in mind when they got caught up with the media hype of a "connected/smart/IoT" lifestyle.

GoPro I can at least see a good use case for...

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby Mr-914 » June 20th, 2017, 7:13 am

Mr-914

Richard: I think the problem with Go Pro and Fitbit is limited market size. Once those markets have bought the product, there is no reason to make another purchase for 3-5 years until the tech gets substantially better (memory, speed, resolution, inter-connectivity, etc) or the first one breaks. Both these companies saturated their market so fast that they ran out of customers before they got to that replacement wave.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » June 20th, 2017, 12:39 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

That and competitors are moving into the space. Garmin has coming at fitbit pretty hard with more features and great accuracy, and their are a host of GoPro competitors that do it just as well for a better price. I think both brands has really established themselves in the space but they need to keep the pedal down and continue to advance to stay on top.

Postby sonofscrotum » July 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

ADD wrote:360 Panoramic Ball Camera

http://gizmodo.com/cursed-throwable-cam ... 1796642160

Previous

Return to general design discussion