Close

Re: Unexpected places your designs have shown up

Postby yo » December 21st, 2016, 1:29 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Actually we have never done it like this before. Typically we hide this kind of thing, or minimize it with smaller trim rings and tonal hardware. Looking at who the demo is for this range and what else he values in his life we thought it was an opportunity to celebrate the construction. They also act as magnetic anchors to the grille. Typically the grilled have these "catch cups", basically press fit receptacles and pins. I firkin hate those visually. Just a mess and I felt we could do it better. I think this really sets our mid tier product off nicely at a glance. The entry level line, T Series, has the traditional catch cups. Our best line, LSiM, has all hidden magnetics, almost no detail on the baffle. This is the nice midpoint of doing something that feels high end but celebrating how we achieved it.

Postby yo » August 27th, 2017, 8:01 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

One of my buddies drove up in a vintage Porsche 911 that had a set of Polk speakers I designed installed in the doors. When I posted an image on Facebook, David over at Zelectric Motors​ sent me an image of the same model speaker installed in his restored and electrified VW Bug! These are exactly the kinds of cars I designed this series for. Vintage cars and trucks that had little in the way of factory systems at the time. Almost everything else in this category is overly aggressive or blinged out. We wanted to do something for the vintage car enthusiast building a resto-mod. That user wants something a little more subtle but still with some great detailing. It is so important to understand your user an not just chase your competition blindly. Image below showing both installs with my original rough sketch on the left.
Attachments
IMG_3307.jpg

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

The Inventcor sports bottles I work on as a product designer have shown up in Netflix series such as Breaking Bad and I believe also in Santa Clarita Diet.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby AndyMc » September 4th, 2017, 7:23 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

Nice Yo!

Love the vintage feel. Are these 6.5"? (I couldn't see them on the Polk site)

Postby yo » September 4th, 2017, 11:01 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I don't think it is available anymore. I did that line 5 years ago. We replaced it with DB+ and MM1. But it was available in pretty much every size imaginable, including ovals and subs.

Most people install them under the factory grilles of course, with newer cars anyway. The only cars that typically keep the grilles we designed are older ones.
Attachments
x107DXi1201-F.jpg
x107DXi1201-F.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

Previous

Return to general design discussion