Close

Re: BlackBerry's new Creative Director is...

Postby sanjy009 » January 13th, 2014, 7:09 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

I can understand 3DS wanting to hitch their wagon to "...a pop culture influencer..." and to "...leverage will.i.am's international creative industry network..." but do these things actually work?

On one hand, Mr i.am says he's put his money where his mouth is:
Will.i.am's 13 lessons on how to be creative in business

but this is the result:
Will.i.am unveils horribly overpriced punctuation-laden iPhone camera accessories

uuummm...More power to him, but to me this whole setup continues the myth that any sort of creative process is about the sole genius with an 'idea' and not the hard work and process and the many people involved. He can swan into a meeting and spout a few buzzwords and name drop and somehow that is designing a product that ends up on the store shelves.

I want to say he comes across as a hyperactive over-privileged teenager, who thinks his opinion matters, and someone needs to have a quiet word to him to pull his head in - sort of a cross between Verruca Salt, David Brent and Mugato, but that would be very unfair of me, so I wont.

Postby NURB » January 13th, 2014, 7:26 pm

NURB

I do, too, Mugatu. I do, too.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby sonofscrotum » September 13th, 2016, 3:08 pm

sonofscrotum
step three
step three

Samsung should hire her to promote the Note7 phone ... this girl is on fire!

Postby sachin » September 13th, 2016, 5:29 pm

sachin
step three
step three

sanjy009 wrote:I can understand 3DS wanting to hitch their wagon to "...a pop culture influencer..." and to "...leverage will.i.am's international creative industry network..." but do these things actually work?

On one hand, Mr i.am says he's put his money where his mouth is:
Will.i.am's 13 lessons on how to be creative in business

but this is the result:
Will.i.am unveils horribly overpriced punctuation-laden iPhone camera accessories

uuummm...More power to him, but to me this whole setup continues the myth that any sort of creative process is about the sole genius with an 'idea' and not the hard work and process and the many people involved. He can swan into a meeting and spout a few buzzwords and name drop and somehow that is designing a product that ends up on the store shelves.

I want to say he comes across as a hyperactive over-privileged teenager, who thinks his opinion matters, and someone needs to have a quiet word to him to pull his head in - sort of a cross between Verruca Salt, David Brent and Mugato, but that would be very unfair of me, so I wont.

Is Will.I.Am design kryptonite? He ruined so many cars too

Postby slippyfish » February 6th, 2017, 7:01 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

The Brief, Bumbling Tech Careers of Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, and Gwen Stefani

For a minute in history, it was oh-so-cool for legacy tech companies to hire pop stars. It didn’t work.

https://backchannel.com/the-brief-bumbling-tech-careers-of-alicia-keys-lady-gaga-and-will-i-am-f64f8770ed88#.jvqbtfo9p
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby AndyMc » February 7th, 2017, 4:21 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

slippyfish wrote:The Brief, Bumbling Tech Careers of Alicia Keys, Lady Gaga, and Gwen Stefani

For a minute in history, it was oh-so-cool for legacy tech companies to hire pop stars. It didn’t work.

https://backchannel.com/the-brief-bumbling-tech-careers-of-alicia-keys-lady-gaga-and-will-i-am-f64f8770ed88#.jvqbtfo9p

Maybe they should have hired an army on barbarians on horseback. It would have been just as effective :lol:

c5a1edada1f85b18143871a7b3a5ae3a.jpg
c5a1edada1f85b18143871a7b3a5ae3a.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1320 times

Postby yo » February 7th, 2017, 1:57 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I found that whole trend really odd. I worked with a few of star athletes while at Nike. Michael Jordan, Derek Jeter, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade. All of them had great input on what their performance expectations were and feedback on what fir their personal style. The tone Nike spent was when we work together on show we collaborate as peers. I always felt a lot of respect and appreciation for what we did on the product side and an excitement to be involved, and we echoed that back as it was pretty exciting to be working with them. Even though they were spokespeople in some regard, they also had to work in the product. The product had to perform and a bad product could lead to a career limiting injury. In fact, they would be putting the product through some of the most extreme performance conditions.... even with all of that none of them seemed to feel the need to be called creative director.

So the whole celebrity creative director thing just baffled me. It feels so ... tawdry. Now if any of them stopped performing, recording, or acting and sat with the team every day and actually designed phones, that would awesome, but a title does not make a person, a person makes a title.

Postby AndyMc » February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm

AndyMc
step four
step four

yo wrote:The product had to perform and a bad product could lead to a career limiting injury. In fact, they would be putting the product through some of the most extreme performance conditions.... even with all of that none of them seemed to feel the need to be called creative director.

So the whole celebrity creative director thing just baffled me. It feels so ... tawdry. Now if any of them stopped performing, recording, or acting and sat with the team every day and actually designed phones, that would awesome, but a title does not make a person, a person makes a title.

At least at Nike the athletes/celebrities providing input had a huge amount of experience in that field to know what the performance issues were, what they wanted improved and that in turn would influence their play, making it extremely valuable advice to apply to the design process.

Even if they had stopped performing to help full-time to work on product design, do they use technology so differently that their input is more valuable than what regular consumers provides? Basketball shoes I understand absolutely how pro input influences shoe usability and the brand itself. A phone...not so much.

Would I buy some basketball shoes because Michael Jordan helped design them? Sure, he backs up his input with experience.
Would I buy a phone because Alicia Keys had some kind of input? Nope.

Postby Mr-914 » February 8th, 2017, 8:20 am

Mr-914

I don't know how it is at Nike, but at CCM (albeit 12 odd years ago), all the product managers were ex-hockey players. I think it does help to bring the VOC into the development process.

On the other hand, my impression was that they were more skeptical of new technology than the average consumer.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby slippyfish » February 8th, 2017, 12:39 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

AndyMc wrote:
Would I buy some basketball shoes because Michael Jordan helped design them? Sure, he backs up his input with experience.
Would I buy a phone because Alicia Keys had some kind of input? Nope.

Would I buy an Aston Martin RB 001 because Daniel Ricciardo applied the final brand placard? Yeah, well, I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby AndyMc » February 9th, 2017, 12:56 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

slippyfish wrote: Would I buy an Aston Martin RB 001 because Daniel Ricciardo applied the final brand placard? Yeah, well, I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope nobody ever cleans that placard! His fingerprint residue makes the car twice as fast as a regular one :D

Previous

Return to general design discussion