IDSA, ADHD, and Design

I have been on ADHD medication for more than 25 years, and in public school I was the student who was passed to the next grade because they did not want to deal with me (this was in the late 60’s to late 70’s)

I ahve always felt that I was more like Forest Gump when it came to learning the basics, but my incredible focus on something I was interested in made me exceptionally sucessfull in learning that. So powerpoint and excel are things I dread, but meshmixer and vred I can spend days using.

The thing is, knowing the test results of tests are great, but how do you turn that into useful info in life? Being aware of those “things” when they happen has helped me immensley.

You will not feel like a robot on medication, it will, with the correct med and dose, allow you to focus longer, and realize that you are wandering. There is not a pill that will completly negate it, and why do so? You see differently and focus differently, and that lets you create in ways other do not.
Some of the habits are hard to supress, one of mine is saying things without thinking, which comes across as arrogance ot stupidity most of the time.

For example, at my first job out of design school, I had a meeting with the VP of GE plastics, along with the VP of engineering from my employer, my assistant was there as well. The meeting was going well, discussing new ways to utilize the materials when I drifted off, at some point I got up, walked around a large table of samples, picked up a white imac first gen case front, put it over my face, walked up to the GE VP and said, “These aren’t the droids you are looking for”. The admin assistant who was taking notes and my assistant fell over laughing, my VP stared, the GE VP chuckled, and I was never asked to attend another meeting like that again until our parent company took over my employer. I get kidded about that all the time.