Inspirational Design Shorts

Here’s a 1.5 hr long podcast where Chris Do talks about his personal background. It’s very transparent. It was my first intro to him and gave me a special appreciation for his Futur/Skool videos.

What this lacks in design substance it makes up in pure coolness.

zero sum vs positive sum economics and innovation’s role:

Interesting short. The idea of “we are stronger if we work together” is something I wish there was more of in the world.

I think a lot of business leaders see their individual markets as zero sum games. In order for your marketshare to go up, someone else has to go down. In stable mature product categories that can be the case… but the category can also be ripe for disruption and growth. Take headphones, a totally stable market. Most were free (came with a product) or cheap replacements (crap, lost my headphones and I’m at the airport, I don’t want to spend more the $20), with one mid tier player (Bose) and a few very high end players. Beats entered the market and instead of taking share by crushing competitors, they basically doubled the size of the pie.

I know this isn’t the point of the video, and I also think the $250 fashion headphones aren’t the model for increased global happiness, but a micro proof point of a macro concept. I’ve only met a few leaders who think this way. A few years ago Nike stated a goal to reach $50B. It wasn’t that long ago that the entire sportswear industry was smaller than that. Could they reach their goal by taking share, yes, but it would be an incredibly hard slog and probably not the best thing for the category or sustaining that number. The only way to grow is to increase the overall size of the pie.

I’m not sure if this is a “design short”… but I loved learning how turbos work:

I wouldn’t necessarily call this inspirational, but interesting:

how many buzz words do you think they crammed into this?

https://vimeo.com/261053715

I saw on the front page of core77.com that the Gary Hustwit doc on Dieter Rams is finally coming! Finally! Dieter Rams Documentary by Gary Hustwit is On the Way - Core77

A few of the teasers:

loving this:

this is a good one:

Just watched the zero-sum vs positive-sum video, that was quite impactful.

Keen to see Rams!

Apart from the introductory quote, nice video:

It is an important concept to understand. When you are working with someone who see the world through that zero sum lens it can be challenging.

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it by

Design for Life is one of my all time favorites

great thread btw

Lots of Canadian examples in this piece on Brutalism. A short historical lesson on Brutalist architecture, the philosophy behind it, and why so many of our public buildings were designed in this style. I’ve loved the boldness and purity of these types of buildings since I was a little kid. For some reason I was always attracted to them:

Life goals! I want to be like these guys when I grow up.

12 years ago:

12 months ago: