Inspirational Design Shorts

Morley Safer of CBSNews interviewing design legend Raymond Lowey Raymond Loewy: Father of Industrial Design : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Today CBS Sunday Morning ran a piece on Raymond Loewy. Check it out Almanac: Designer Raymond Loewy - YouTube

CBS Sunday also did a piece on the 747 ending it’s run for United Airlines.

We should all be so lucky to have a design as iconic as the 747.

There’s a series on TV here in Aus that is going through our design award winners.

It’s fun to see the evolution! They’ve really kept the overall side profile detailing consistent throughout the years, although the wheelbase seems to have changed a lot.

In a world full of crappy news, here is a little Carl Sagan to start your day. Get after it :arrow_right:

This is great!
I would love to see a very slow and intelligent sci fi movie that deals with some of the shown themes and is equally bombastic in it’s visuals.

seriously agree. I think I’ve watched this a dozen times. It deserves to be expanded.

CG SciFi shorts have gotten so good

Check out this quick Vox video by Phil Edwards on the Lincoln Monument and how it almost wasn’t built. This is a great analogy to what many of us in design encounter at times when guiding stakeholders to a solution. Lisa Benton-Short lists in the video lack of vision, fiscal conservatism, and lack of will as “the perfect storm of nothing happens”. Designers in the process can help by showing people the vision in such a compelling way that it not only explains, it overcomes the lack of will. It is also incumbent upon us to help find the most financially responsible solution, or to help show how this solution might have outsized returns.

Luck Rudy and the invention of Nike Air:

always wondered why these engines were flattened! Now I know: Why are the Boeing 737NG engines FLAT? - YouTube

That’s cool! Now I also know why the engines sit so far forwards. I always thought it was something to do with engine thrust flowing under the wing, I’d actually never considered center of gravity.

Also just watched the Chris Do post, he has some really great content on valuing design.

Yah. That Chris Do stuff is great. He is obviously focused on branding but most of what he is saying is applicable across any creative field.

Here’s a 1.5 hr long podcast where Chris Do talks about his personal background. It’s very transparent. It was my first intro to him and gave me a special appreciation for his Futur/Skool videos.

What this lacks in design substance it makes up in pure coolness.