Close

Re: BP Oil Leak: Ready, Set...Brainstorm!

Postby Greenman » June 21st, 2010, 4:51 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

rkuchinsky wrote:Any creative use for those plane mounted laser systems designed to take out a ground target?

http://gizmodo.com/391636/boeing-begins ... s-run-away

Like maybe it's possible to do precision welding through the water (not sure what happens to a laser when it goes through water, assume it slows down, but dunno how much).

R

I'm not sure about lasers, but there are particle accelerators, like the one at Fermilab or the LHC that can pinpoint a target hundreds of miles away, through the Earth's crust, would that do anything?
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Postby Greenman » June 21st, 2010, 5:01 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuMI

There we go, carbon based target, like a hydro carbon, like oil?

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization

thanks for the laughs folks, in reading this thread (and in light of the pissing and moaning about unqualified others doing ID) I find your attempts LAUGHABLE!. Come on kiddies this is a engineering problem of the first order, not some sneaker design or a new bookend. Do I have any ideas on this, none that are on any level realistic, actionable and don't violate the known laws of physics in other words just like yours.

Postby rkuchinsky » June 21st, 2010, 5:21 pm

rkuchinsky

zippyflounder wrote:thanks for the laughs folks, in reading this thread (and in light of the pissing and moaning about unqualified others doing ID) I find your attempts LAUGHABLE!. Come on kiddies this is a engineering problem of the first order, not some sneaker design or a new bookend. Do I have any ideas on this, none that are on any level realistic, actionable and don't violate the known laws of physics in other words just like yours.

Love your idea Zippy. Do nothing, and don't even try because coming up with ideas is too hard. The only thing worse than a bad idea is no idea at all.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

scotthenderson
step one
step one

you mean like those great engineers at BP that have resorted to using Twitter to ask for help from anyone that wants to give it, including movie directors?

I'm posting another sketch in a minute...

scotthenderson
step one
step one

This one is another idea for channeling the water up to a controlled area on the surface so its not drifting all over the place.

This one uses a series of buoys that are joined together as one structural ring, and the cross braces that hold it together as a ring accept long rolls of material that unroll 5000 feet to the sea floor. The 'Buoy-Ring' is tethered to the sea floor by steel cables that attach to concrete pilons.
Attachments
oil_fix_cables_ring_final.jpg
oil_fix_cables_ring_final.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 835 times

Postby mrtwills » June 21st, 2010, 7:08 pm

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization

Has anyone heard much about other oil companies lending their support and help? It seems the worse this gets for BP, the worse it gets for all big oil companies. It seems like not only is BP unprepared for this type of disaster so is every other oil company, otherwise they would have offered a solution.

Postby Greenman » June 21st, 2010, 7:12 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

zippyflounder wrote:thanks for the laughs folks, in reading this thread (and in light of the pissing and moaning about unqualified others doing ID) I find your attempts LAUGHABLE!. Come on kiddies this is a engineering problem of the first order, not some sneaker design or a new bookend. Do I have any ideas on this, none that are on any level realistic, actionable and don't violate the known laws of physics in other words just like yours.

Actually it's a social global economic problem that we now have to use engineering to retroactively solve because said engineers burnt the brownies, must be some really visionary engineers you got on the case there Lou. Working in shifts are they?

obvioustroll.jpg
obvioustroll.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 829 times

Postby Mr-914 » June 21st, 2010, 7:34 pm

Mr-914

I tried to say what zippy said in a more positive way. I don't think designers can do anything to solve the oil that is already spilling. It's a giant engineering project. However, we could be trying to reduce our own use of oil and spreading information. I think that's the only logical course of action. All of this talk of boycotts and sketching might make us feel a little more in control, but the fact of the matter is, we aren't. It's scary.

BTW, if you think BP is pulling at straws, read about the Lakeview Gusher of 1910-1911. Those guys REALLY didn't have a plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeview_Gusher

Note: the largest oil spill ever...9 million barrels.

Postby hansmaus » June 21st, 2010, 8:49 pm

hansmaus

Not even the US government has the know-how or equipment to fix this leak easily. That why they have to watch from the sideline, just like the rest of us, the Tower of Babel burning, 5000 feet deep.

scotthenderson
step one
step one

engineering and design are very closly linked. An idea has to begin somwhere.

Postby integrity » June 21st, 2010, 9:31 pm

integrity

Finnally I can get this thought out of my head. Why are they trying to go over the pipe and not down into it? I maybe way over simplifing as I normally do, but I would try using the principle of a ballon, or umbrella catheter. Feed the catheter as far down into the pipe as possible. Preferably back where the pipe is supported by ground and run a series of balloons or umbrella type catheters to shut off the flow. Try and use the pressure of the well to force the catheters to outer walls. Am I crazy?
Attachments
plug-a-pipe.jpg

Postby Greenman » June 21st, 2010, 9:54 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

The actual fix is probably just to nuke it, worked for the Russians 4 times. There's lots of reason why they haven't done it, and lots more why they won't, but I wonder how bad the radioactive affect would be and what size bomb they'd need to use.

zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mr-914 wrote:I tried to say what zippy said in a more positive way. I don't think designers can do anything to solve the oil that is already spilling. It's a giant engineering project. However, we could be trying to reduce our own use of oil and spreading information. I think that's the only logical course of action. All of this talk of boycotts and sketching might make us feel a little more in control, but the fact of the matter is, we aren't. It's scary.

BTW, if you think BP is pulling at straws, read about the Lakeview Gusher of 1910-1911. Those guys REALLY didn't have a plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeview_Gusher

Note: the largest oil spill ever...9 million barrels.

dead on right, and CONSUMPTION uses energy, all forms of consumption from gas in your hummer to the sneaks on your feet. So kiddies want to help, design less crap that is headed for the landfill in 18 months or so.

Postby Travisimo » June 22nd, 2010, 1:03 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Greenman wrote:The actual fix is probably just to nuke it, worked for the Russians 4 times. There's lots of reason why they haven't done it, and lots more why they won't, but I wonder how bad the radioactive affect would be and what size bomb they'd need to use.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion