Close

Re: Any one into Generative Design ?

Postby feynman » July 11th, 2010, 6:21 pm

feynman
step one
step one

Good afternoon lyfk,

well, the book is out, but I'd be reluctant to buy it, because Robert Woodbury's teaching is quite heavily centered on Bentley Systems, Inc. Generative Components which surely is a well working and exciting tool but maybe not so ideally suited for product designers. I'd be cautious when books come with marketing blurb as this "[...] Pushed by practices wanting and needing to produce novelty [...]" and a content page as this "1. Introduction 2. What is Parametric Modeling? 3. How Designers Work 4. Programming 5. The New Elephant House, Copenhagen 6. Geometry 7. Onur Gun 8. Patterns for Parametric Design 9. Hysterical Space" where, in my opinion, Buro Happold's and Foster + Partners' tessellated British Museum Great Court roof would have been an example with a much higher architectonic quality. But, have a look at his teaching experience and especially the projects undertaken here http://www.siat.sfu.ca/files/File/PDF%20Files/WoodburyTeaching.pdf to judge for yourself, if this is really a book you should invest in.

Baudrillard is a good reference because, apart from his texts on humans and their relation to the artificial, his writing is not clouding meaning with vainglorious meanderings as Deleuze, Lacan and other postmodernists who, for a while, posed as architecture and design critics. And, that is why Ostwald's Ethics and the auto-generative design process is such a sobering and refreshing read...

ps: Some more (very) introductory literature on the topic:

Antonelli, P. (Ed.). (2008). Design and the elastic mind. New York, NY: The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

Knauer, R. (2008). Transformation: Basic principles and methodology of design. Basel, Switzerland: Birkhäuser Verlag AG

Postby ralphzoontjens » April 18th, 2017, 2:57 pm

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

Maybe we can bring this topic back to life after 7 years. I have seen a lot of requests for generative design assignments and projects, from surface textures to lighting installations, with also big companies such as Philips now recruiting for generative design talents. I am wondering if anyone else notices this too and focusing in this area. I think there is a big future for generative design, and a huge opportunity for the first software that can combine generative design, genetic algorithms and A-class surfacing.

A good book by the way is Textile Tectonics by Lars Spuybroek since it relates generative design to the history of building cathedrals which is comparable.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby yo » April 18th, 2017, 10:54 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

a lot of designers are using Grasshopper for that kid of surface texture iteration

Postby MK19 » April 19th, 2017, 5:54 am

MK19
step two
step two

It is interesting and also somewhat scary for this to resurface at this moment. I have been accepted to do a PhD on the subject starting in July.
Realistically I think it will result in furniture based products with some fancy sliders for customers to specify their products. The difference is it will be customer driven and specified, not designing 1000s of options for the designer to choose from.
I used to use the term Parametric Design but realistically Computational Design is a more appropriate term for what I want to do. I would avoid Generative Design due to Autodesks taking over of the term which means something different to them.

Previous

Return to general design discussion