Check my folio please..need some feedback

Hey! been a while eh! well i just uploaded the final product for my typeography assignment. I am still in school, i am a Digital Art major, I am a sophmore and still learning! Let me know how you think my work is looking and any thoughts on what i need to work on! Thanks! Also i have my CAR review this month, concentration review…we are judged on our works from our core classes (drawing1,2, figuredrawing,2d design 3d design, typography and one art elective mine was metal smithing) nothing from any other class but typography is on this though…thanks

www.coroflot.com/SilkkNLPc

i think you should simplefy your Summary of Qualifications section to have knowledge of 95/98/200 & XP is no special thing…unless i guess you are applying for a job at microsoft where you are going to be re-building an OS or somthing

Summary of Qualifications:
Extensive knowledge of many applications and operating systems including Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Microsoft Office 2000, and Xp, Netscape 7.0, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, Opera Web Browser, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Pagemaker, Meta Creations Poser, Painter, Corel Bryce, GIF Builder, can program HTML, knowlage on a Macintosh os 9/x system, and I am proficient in Macromedia MX Web Developer programs such as Flash MX, Dreamweaver MX.

How appropriate that you post this on Groundhog Day. I feel like I’ve lived through this thread many times over and its always the same! :open_mouth:

You are joking right :open_mouth:

THe last time you posted your site was th 25th of January :unamused:

I think about a million people have told you to chill on the posting till you make some major changes or add a whole new set of works.

You’re that annoying kid in class that makes a 30 minute lecture last over an hour because you ask far too many obvious questions aren’t you?!

If you keep doing this people are just going to completely ignore your posts.

I gotta have more cow bell!

heres my advice stop posting your work you are going to suck for at least another year. I’m not trying to be an ass, we all suck in the begining and it is obvious you are at the begining.

I agree that you have posted this stuff too much. Since you keep posting you need to know a few things your teachers are not teaching you. I’m not going to say you suck but you need help.

You should start over from scratch. It is OK to mix serif and sanserif fonts. Especially in copy blocks. Serif fonts are easier and less tired to read through. Be careful mixing sanserif fonts. Your designs are heavy, busy and I just don’t know where to look.

Also, I know there is word out there that brown is the new black (as was orange the new black last year) but it is very tough to use correctly… don’t try it without experience. Don’t use them together without experience and never with lime green, puke green or yellow without experience. It took UPS years to figure out how to make brown work for them. It will take you years also.

You are afraid of color… you should be… your color choices scare the hell out of me.

You are trying too hard. That does not mean you won’t be a good designer… just think through your designs more. What are you tryng to achieve? Be aware of negative space, not every area of a design needs to be filled with an element.

Brackets were so last year.

Put the counterspaces back into your letters… the brown “O” in “All About” looks like a butthole.

Backward letters only work sometimes… not this time.

You mix too many colors and weights in your subtext boxes.

Quote marks… make them really large or normal… not kinda bigger.

You use ALL CAPS, Mixed Caps, and lower case text elements… make them consistant.

Maintain at least 1/8" trim/bleed area… should actually be 1/4" for text and logos. Printers have at least an 1/8" margin of error for trim. Looks like they could cut your Beach logo and info off.

Your Beach promo “perm3”… you have a large space but you insist on cramming everything on the edges… on Poster1 looks like you wanted to fill every little space with some sort of junk… looks like a microchip or something. Looks disturbing… I get no comfort looking at this poster and would not suspect this would be any sort of place I would find “Art”. Just a headache.

Even when “greeking” text it is important to give readers “visual space” and breaks in collums of text. Your blocks are too heavy and too justified. Left justification is fine to use. You have some 80 sentense paragraphs here. No one would read this… my eyes would hurt.

I have no idea what “Coloredsqr” is… that should not be there. It has no design or aesthetic value what-so-ever.

I think the only thing I actually like in your whole mess of work is the “all about music” element with the arrow. I think it would work fine alone. I mean totally alone. On a white piece of paper away from the rest of your work… and I’m still not sure about that though… the arrow is a bit heavy.

I can’t blame you for poor design… just of bad judgement. You do not suck… your instructors do. They are not giving you the proper guidance. This stuff may pass for Kansas design but Jon… we’re not in Kansas anymore. It’s a good thing you won’t relocate. The rest of the design worls would eat you up.

BTW… where is your Packaging and Environmental Graphics? A poster is not Environmental Graphics if that’s what you meant.

I remember reading your first post. Your coroflot portfolio has not changed. I can’t believe this is serious. One of the most important things that you will learn in school (we can only hope) is not any one computer program, but the ability to be [viciously] self-critical and to use criticsm effectively. (constructive criticism is a contradiction)

You want feedback. The first time and everytime thereafter you posted, the same things have been said. The coloredsqr embarressment needs to be removed. Do at least that for the sake of the board (our opinions are only opinion but you’re asking us for a reason, remember) and maybe we can take you seriously. :open_mouth: