wireless tachnology

hi everyone?

what do you think are the implications of increased wireless technology?

on social and cultural levels as well as our bodies’ well-beings.

went passed a cafe yesterday. they offered free wireless connection for all centrino users. not bad eh? “sip and surf” sounded too cheesy though…

take care

michael

at some point we’ll all be looking for ways to get away from it… like, now?

I recommend picking up “Smart Mobs” by Howard Rheingold–a great read for designers interested in the social implications of wireless.

He also has an excellent group blog at: http://www.smartmobs.com/

old subject?

we already live in an EM soup. and MRI’s turn people into transmitters. no one worries about Broadcasting then. genetic mods are scarier imo.

I have a couple general notes on the new wireless age we are entering. One is security, one is feature creep.

One thing that is apparent watching the news, or sometimes just any channel. That is that any wireless transmissions are vulnerable to eavesdropping. If anyone recalls the 80’s and early 90’s, they will remember the scary reports of people listening to analog cel-phones. Largely this has been corrected by digital cels, but sometimes those are dual modes that drop into analog, and are therefore vulnerable. Moreover is that wirelss land-line phone you have in your house. Yeah, that transmission is not encrypted. Then we can get into the corporate world. For some reason, if I have an antenna and I pick up an encrypted signal and I have the technology to decrypt it that makes me a criminal of “signal theft”. What rubbish!

If we are to make everything wireless, we had best either ensure everything is encrypted very well, or live with the fact that we are now making our personal lives public.

Second…has anyone noted the quick rise of the camera-celphone? I’ve heard some phone companies don’t even offer a non-camera phone. Is it just me, or is this the ultimate in feature creep?

hey,

I have been reading and keeping up to date with the work being done at Motorola. They had an “Implantable Design” division not too long ago and they created some prototypes for implantable cell phones and such.

If a company of that size and sway is investing in such a vision, you can guarantee that will materialize in the not too distant future!

-n

hey,

I have been reading and keeping up to date with the work being done at Motorola. They had an “Implantable Design” division not too long ago and they created some prototypes for implantable cell phones and such.

If a company of that size and sway is investing in such a vision, you can guarantee that will materialize in the not too distant future!

-n

hi everyone,

i’ve a look at http://www.nttdocomo.com/

there 505i handsets are crazy! 1.3 megapixels camera phone will put a smile on anyone’s face.

take care

Cameraphones aren’t an example of feature creep–they’re an example of an inevitable and harmonious marriage of two technologies that were previously separated due to technology limitations.

Think about it–why do you take pictures? To capture a moment. To share with friends.

Cameraphones enable both of these. Since you always have your phone with you, you always have your “moment capturer” (whether it be a sound, a conversation, an email, or a photo).

And how do you share you captured moments? By MMSing it to your friend the moment you take the picture. Or even better, you instantly post it to your moblog for archiving and to share with your friends, family or the world.

A good example of feature-creep would be putting a voice-recorder in your microwave (like my GE profile.)

or better yet in your frying pan.

Here’s an example of why cameraphones are so cool: