Administration

cg wrote:More "Chief Design Officers."

PLUS ONE!

Re: Design Wishes for 2010 and beyond

Postby pier » January 11th, 2010, 6:58 am

pier
step four
step four

"Experience Design" to become less obtuse and more self evident. All these "Experience Design" projects I immediately thought were crap, but I'm usually wrong, so instead thought OK, lets see what they mean and what becomes of the implementation. Well, I was right, they're crap. Hey did you see the blog post about that cool new "Experience Design" project? They designed something no one understood, no one needed and no one funded.

Design history should become more appreciated, or certainly more researched. Recently I was enjoying reading history of illustrators. An odd profession, not quite artists, not quite designers. Looking at http://www.bpib.com/illustrat/vassos.htm the illustration style seemed quite designerish. Scroll down and it turns out unemployed illustrator turned to industrial design of RCA televisions including clear enclosures, in 1939! Apple starts same trend in early 1990's, 50 years later.

Please do renderings using other than white background with pale grey shadow.

Postby skinny » January 11th, 2010, 9:00 am

skinny
full self-realization
full self-realization

pier wrote:Please do renderings using other than white background with pale grey shadow.

Saves on ink when printing, I know that's why I started that style when I first redid my portfolio in 02 and was printing it myself on an epson 1280. It was strictly cost-cutting. I guess it's unnecessary if you're staying in the all digital realm.

Postby NURB » January 11th, 2010, 9:57 am

NURB

pier wrote:Please do renderings using other than white background with pale grey shadow.

That will be a tough one to change. It's been the norm for decades, stemming from photography.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Cameron » January 11th, 2010, 12:13 pm

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

skinny wrote:

Saves on ink when printing, I know that's why I started that style when I first redid my portfolio in 02 and was printing it myself on an epson 1280. It was strictly cost-cutting. I guess it's unnecessary if you're staying in the all digital realm.

It's also easier to update your portfolio if all your images transition to pure white around the edges. I've now gone away with this with more gradients, but since I do the gradients in InDesign it's still just as easy.
Cameron Nielsen
Personal Site / Coroflot / LinkedIn
"there is an inherent intelligence to beauty" - Dori Tunstall

Previous

Return to general design discussion