Industrial Design in the Food Industry

Postby Fig » July 1st, 2011, 1:15 pm

Fig

Hello, I'm Fig.

I've lurked here for awhile now but only recently joined.
With such a vast array of special interest areas on the forum,
I wondered if any members had a special interest in food culture.
I have a sneaking suspicion this might be my niche in future.
At present I'm neither an ID student or professional.
Nonetheless I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thank you for your replies.

Re: Industrial Design in the Food Industry

Postby bepster » July 1st, 2011, 2:43 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hey Fig,

yes, there have been several topics about food in the past on these forums.
The nice thing is that everybody can relate to this and discussions are usually very vivid.

I actually just graduated out of my masters and am now getting my own little studio of the ground, focusing specifically on the combination of culinary arts and product design as I have a BFA in Culinary Arts and a MFA in ID.
I have been shopping around my services in the last weeks and the reception has been very good so far. More and more design firms are looking for multi-disciplinary teams so if this in an avenue you want to take, I can certainly encourage this.

In any case, I believe that it is important to understand the nitty-gritty of the different disciplines you are combining into a new set of skills. For me it was important to actually go through a BFA in ID after my bachelors degree in Culinary Arts to learn it from the bottom up.
Then the two years during my Masters in ID was the time to actually combine the two BFA studies into something new.
It is a long road, but it really gives you the confidence and understanding you need to be a double edged sword where both sides are equally sharp.

Postby scrotum » July 1st, 2011, 2:51 pm

scrotum
step four
step four

You need to be more specific. Are you talking kitchen housewares, utensils, or food packaging? I sense a strong resurgence in the utensils/tools market, every week there is a new brand or chef attaching his or her name to a new line.

Oxo started it 20 years ago and now there are a dozen companies competing for shelf space at the store; KitchenAid, Zyliss, Calphalon, Cuisinart, even Pyrex is now getting into the utensils market.

And then you have the celebrity chefs "creating" their own product lines, Rachael Ray, Mario Batali... Makes me wonder how many more potato peelers the market can sustain. :(

Postby Fig » July 1st, 2011, 4:09 pm

Fig

Bepster
You've given me a lot to think about.
I've long been considering a similar trajectory.
Though I'm feeling rather old so I don't know about two ID degrees.
I wonder if that would be necessary for me or even economically feasible.
If only I could have been grandfathered into a Swedish university.

Scrotum
I'm not too concerned with celebrity chefs and their potato peelers.
There's some beautiful objects being made. Take NYC based Pinch.
I wanted general answers as an open starting point for discussion.
There might be others reading who are interested in other subcategories.
There are design considerations for how food is produced, transported, assembled, presented and sensed.

Postby Timf » July 1st, 2011, 4:15 pm

Timf
full self-realization
full self-realization

When I worked at Gerber we were once asked to redesign the Teething Biscuit to prevent it creating sharp edges when pieces broke off. We did it.

Food for thought :)

Postby scrotum » July 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm

scrotum
step four
step four

The pasta designed by Giugiaro comes to mind.

http://www.quickswood.com/my_weblog/200 ... pasta.html

Postby Fig » July 1st, 2011, 5:17 pm

Fig

Timf
Ah the baby food market. Interesting.
I hadn't given that demographic enough thought.

Scrotum
Nice link. Pasta is a fantastic example.
Its geometry and relationship to its sauce.

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

There's a designer called Luki Huber who did lots of stuff with Ferran Adria, both for retail and also for his 'taller' to work out the molecular gastronomy stuff. I've only found out bits and pieces about his work in English, the best being an episode of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" show. Lots of youtube on him if you speak Spanish.

Postby Atohms » July 2nd, 2011, 12:38 pm

Atohms
step four
step four

Check out these guys:

http://www.sensefortaste.com/

They are approaching food in a very analytical scientific way. They analyses tastes and figure out which ones would fit with each other. It's called food-pairing and it's a part of molecular gastronomy. They have some very weird but nice combinations.
They once fed me chocolate-bonbons with anchovy. I loved it until I found out what was inside ;)

To me this is industrial design. Trying new things with the technology that is given to us.
Dreams R Free

Postby bepster » July 2nd, 2011, 2:09 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Check out these guys:

http://www.sensefortaste.com/

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Great work.

designerboi

Hi Fig,

I work Kraft Foods as an Industrial Designer for chocolate globally [Cadbury, Milka, Toblerone,]. At the moment it really is a niche role but the principals of ID are still applicable. Certainly in the future there is room for product/industrial design within the food industry.

My work ranges from mould design, generating new product concepts and new technologies and processes. There is also some involvement in packaging design but the focus of my work is on the edible product.
It can be a very frustrating job at times but on the other hand there are a lot of opportunities for innovation and also to learn from other industries.

I still work as a typical designer, using CAD programs, rendering software, photoshop, rapid prototyping etc... the only difference is when our prototypes are finished we can eat them : )

Check out future technologies within the chocolate industry....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14030720

Postby msh1 » February 12th, 2013, 4:08 pm

msh1

designerboi wrote:Hi Fig,

I work Kraft Foods as an Industrial Designer for chocolate globally [Cadbury, Milka, Toblerone,]. At the moment it really is a niche role but the principals of ID are still applicable. Certainly in the future there is room for product/industrial design within the food industry.

My work ranges from mould design, generating new product concepts and new technologies and processes. There is also some involvement in packaging design but the focus of my work is on the edible product.
It can be a very frustrating job at times but on the other hand there are a lot of opportunities for innovation and also to learn from other industries.

I still work as a typical designer, using CAD programs, rendering software, photoshop, rapid prototyping etc... the only difference is when our prototypes are finished we can eat them : )

Hi Designerboi
I'm looking for a job as a designer in the food industry.
Can you tell me how you've reached this job?

Postby PackageID » February 12th, 2013, 7:48 pm

PackageID

designerboi wrote:Hi Fig,

designerboi-

Welcome to the boards. I am an ID manager working at Mars Chocolate US.

Fig - As mentioned above there is quite a bit of design in the confection world. I am responsible for managing the design of the moulds, but seasonal and everyday moulds, but also the evaluation of the consumer and making sure that the product is delivering the proper sensorial experience. This includes the mould, pack, and every other touch point that might be relevant.

We still do A LOT of sketching. then moving to CAD and prototyping.

J
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Postby Brett_nyc » February 13th, 2013, 10:56 am

Brett_nyc
full self-realization
full self-realization

MMmmmm chocolate CAD

Postby jcharles00 » February 14th, 2013, 2:32 pm

jcharles00
step three
step three

This topic reminds me of this gravitytank video. They use their research to reposition a type of product from the bottom-up. In this case, food seasonings. I can't say that I've seen this concept taking off, but I think it's an interesting market gap.

Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list