jon_winebrenner

Oh, it definitely has helped. Where it sits more than anything is that I have yet to come across the audience that doesn't believe their system is the "right" system. In other words, Most I've spoken with here in Vancouver seem to consider the qualitative "market" approach to be the only approach.

I know they exist, or the people I'm talking with and I are just using different terminology. So that's what I was hoping to gleen from the thread.

And as it turns out...at least using this thread as a qualitative assessment, we're all struggling with the messaging on this one.

Mr-914

Jon, I think it's a generational problem. Even in marketing, they talk about this. I'm sure that we could find an internet forum with marketers around our age complaining about their management not listening to their qualitative market research. We'll just have to wait for these people to retire and then we'll get to force our "old" ideas onto the next generation.

I see the change all over the place now. I see this struggle as part of a larger social change. I think 20 years ago, people generally thought that everything could be reduced down to an easy spreadsheet. Absolute predictions could be made for everything. I think September 11 (and the varied crisis since then) cracked that open. Academics are shifting to studying things that can be roughly predicted, but never absolutely. This kind of mind set is dripping over into popular media and it will seed the next generation of management.

Sadly, I can not give you an absolute date when one of those managers more open to qualitative user or marketing research will call you.
Ray Jepson

"L'homme n'est rien. L'œuvre c'est tout." Gustave Flaubert

jacob fleisher
step two
step two

It's the classic do-the-thing-you're-most-familiar-with, a.k.a "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
The methods chosen for generating information (and using it) have a lot to do with what the personal or institutional comfort level is with ambiguity.
--------------------------------------------
NC30

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

I asked one of our research team... her 5 min take was that user research was a subset of market research, and that many of the different research subsets could be applied to both marketing or to design

ADD
step four
step four

Market Research = Overview of Category
Market research is done through some agency. It might be useful for designer to be a part of the process.
It provides an overview of the product category. It gives some view about which product is doing well in comparison with others.
It defines important parameters, features, success & failures, trends.
Basically, it tries to connect the sell figure to its appropriateness or probable reason (Why answer?). This gives a guideline for the important factors/parameters that should be considered while designing the product. It can also give some information for a strategic design.

User Research = User & (User-Product-Environment )
I have done a few projects, which went for the good depth.
It is collecting info about users who are/will be associated with the product.
There are various methods to understand the User-Product-Environment relationship & their interactions.
It gives details about the insights, their wants & needs, pain points & opportunities.

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

I like that ADD. If I may paraphrase,

Market research = Breadth
User research = Depth

ADD
step four
step four

Well said. iab.

One more ...
Market research = Zoom Out