Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

As far as the "being fired/getting laid off"...

It could be summed up as going through serious defeat, then learning from & getting past it

skyarrow
step four
step four

Travisimo wrote:As far as the "being fired/getting laid off"...

It could be summed up as going through serious defeat, then learning from & getting past it

Travis - you nailed it!
"See, how it works is, the train leaves and not the station"

Mr-914

I feel like my most serious defeat was when I wasn't fired from a job, but I was wasn't smart enough to leave either!

mo-i: I'm starting a family in June. I wish I had started 10 years ago. I've heard it said that one should have kids when you understand how not prepared you are to have kids. I think I always knew I wasn't prepared hehe.
Ray Jepson

"L'homme n'est rien. L'œuvre c'est tout." Gustave Flaubert

Almo50

yo wrote:I've also visited a few factories in Italy. Some great ones, the Bruno Magli factory, the Alessi factory, the Segis furniture factory. All great learning experiences. Seeing it in Asia gives you another perspective though I think. The scale, the pace, the country itself.... but for sure, just visiting manufacturing facilities for anything and everything. I love visiting manufacturing facilities outside my industry. Always lots to learn.

I want to this - How did you approach these companies for the tour?

yo
Administration
Administration

It was actually part of a pretty amazing summer program my school offered for a small fortune. 2 weeks touring Norther Italian factories and design studios followed by a 6 week intensive course in Milan. It was pretty amazing. I wish I could do it again now.

NURB

Mr-914 wrote:I feel like my most serious defeat was when I wasn't fired from a job, but I was wasn't smart enough to leave either!

Yes! I did the same thing. The company going out of business at the height of the recession is what finally made me lose my job. It did definitely make me think about what I wanted to be doing. However, at the time I was completely unprepared for that event and needed work fast, so I had to fall back on what I was doing but with another company. It's not ideal, but I do know more about what I want and what I don't want than I ever did.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @Mike_FTW

rkuchinsky

Another to add-

#12 (or whatever we are at)-
Fire a client. (More applicable to a consultant, but equal in corporate would be to say "no" to an internal team or boss on a project request).

One of the hardest things in business is knowing when to say "no". Doing so will not only reinforce why you do what you do, but make doing it that much more purposeful.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization

rkuchinsky wrote:Another to add-

Fire a client. (More applicable to a consultant, but equal in corporate would be to say "no" to an internal team or boss on a project request).

One of the hardest things in business is knowing when to say "no". Doing so will not only reinforce why you do what you do, but make doing it that much more purposeful.

R

On a similar vein, deliver bad news personally to a client and adress the solution. Nothing builds long term credibility than honestly dealing with an issue and learning the proper way to discuss it. Issue, not problem for example.

rkuchinsky

nxakt wrote:
rkuchinsky wrote:Another to add-

R

On a similar vein, deliver bad news personally to a client and adress the solution. Nothing builds long term credibility than honestly dealing with an issue and learning the proper way to discuss it. Issue, not problem for example.

Good one. On that note, it also builds a lot of character to tell a client "you were wrong". Going back after reconsideration of a concept you presented and a client bought into can be a humbling experience but if the means justifies the end, that is ultimately what they are paying you for. Ideally it's a "I suggested x, but here's y I just thought of, and why it's better"...

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

yo
Administration
Administration

Another related one, pass on a project because it just wasn't something you wanted to do (put ethics, passion, or interest above money)... On the flip side, try it the other way and see how that works out. I passed on a few big projects (disposable floor cleaner and tech exploration program I thought was a dead end) because I wasn't interested and I just didn't feel they were ethically right somehow. I've also taken a few projects I wish I hadn't of, only to kick myself halfway in when I was bored but too busy to take another possible project that actually would have been awesome. Live and learn as they say.

jon_winebrenner

yo wrote:Another related one, pass on a project because it just wasn't something you wanted to do (put ethics, passion, or interest above money)...

Add to that turn down a project that would pay y0ur company more than $1,000,000 :cry:

Lmo

I'm late, as usual. Finally hit my day-off (my annual Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant refueling gig) and catching up on my CORE reading.

Touring a factory was mentioned previously. I would have to add WORK in a factory to the list of of experiences every designer should "endure". Nothing teaches/clarifies manufacturing processes like actually operating equipment. Injection molding machine operator, foundry work, and tool & die shop machinist positions helped pay my way through school.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Stuffed Vulture
step two
step two

Discover something you once designed in its final resting place in a junk yard, on a beach etc.

yo
Administration
Administration

Oh man, that is a good one!

I saw a tea kettle I designed sitting on the side of the street once... not a cheap kettle either. It was for Chantal. It came out about 10-12 years before, so hopefully people got some good use out of it... I hope.

PackageID

Stuffed Vulture wrote:Discover something you once designed in its final resting place in a junk yard, on a beach etc.

I think about this every time I see an M&M'S or Snickers wrapper on the ground. Drives me crazy!!

J
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to general design discussion

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list