Re: Why do you post on the C77 discussion boards?

Postby yo » December 20th, 2012, 12:43 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Thanks everyone for posting about their experiences. Your reasons mirrored the ones we expressed as moderators. So glad we each derive some value from this small corner of the Internet...

Wallflower, I feel the same about my own posts most of the time... Doesn't seem to slow me down though!

Shoenista, I feel the same about linkedIn. Something about it feeling like a giant resume. It is too formal.

Postby Sain » December 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Sain
full self-realization
full self-realization

I found Core77 during right before my senior year in high school. I remember researching how I could become a footwear (soccer boots specifically) designer and stumbled onto the site and forum. It was a wealth of knowledge and I sucked up as much as I could about school choices and how to prepare for ID in college. The wealth of information and willingness of people give it out was invaluable at that time as I had no other way of looking into the ID world.

After I got into school, I saw it as a great way to keep up the design discussion outside of the studio world. Also was a great way to get more feedback on my school projects. Seriously I tell every underclassmen that ask for advice to start posting on the Core77 boards. (sadly only a few have ever taken me up on the advice) It's crazy how little student use the boards. You've got access to great designers that are willing to give you feedback, you just have to put yourself out there.
emmanuel carrillo - emmanuelcarrillo.com

Postby mrtwills » December 20th, 2012, 6:41 pm

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization

I used to post a lot (full self-realization!), and this is my first post in maybe months. There used to be a time when I had a tab bit of downtime during my day to quickly look and post, but now I just churn out work like a machine. I just like being apart of the discussion. It feels like a little community.

Maybe you will see me around again soon.

Traftos
step two
step two

When I was in college I never really perused the site much. After I graduated started following this site a lot and although I have yet to post any of my work, which I will in time, I found the critiques from other designers to help me realize what skills I need to have to get where I want to be. Opportunities came along that allowed me to build my skills and I would say just from reading the advice of the people on the site, my creativity and work is leaps and bounds better than where I was at when I graduated, as it should be. It is great that students have an outlet outside of school to have their work critiqued by professionals, of all levels, from an outside point of view, something I wish I had done when I was in school.

Postby yo » January 8th, 2013, 11:20 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Thought you guys would appreciate the write up the editorial staff put together on this topic and a few others: http://www.core77.com/blog/announcement ... _24166.asp

Thank you again for all your past, present, and future contributions everyone!
Attachments
DieterxRodin.jpg
DieterxRodin.jpg (138.19 KiB) Viewed 724 times

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Sain wrote:I found Core77 during right before my senior year in high school. I remember researching how I could become a footwear (soccer boots specifically) designer and stumbled onto the site and forum. It was a wealth of knowledge and I sucked up as much as I could about school choices and how to prepare for ID in college. The wealth of information and willingness of people give it out was invaluable at that time as I had no other way of looking into the ID world.

After I got into school, I saw it as a great way to keep up the design discussion outside of the studio world. Also was a great way to get more feedback on my school projects. Seriously I tell every underclassmen that ask for advice to start posting on the Core77 boards. (sadly only a few have ever taken me up on the advice) It's crazy how little student use the boards. You've got access to great designers that are willing to give you feedback, you just have to put yourself out there.

@Sain: Really agree with you here. College/university is it's own thing and oftentimes too separated from the real world -- although I have had some great teachers that are very practical and want to help the students ultimately be employable.

It is great to be able to see what other designers and other students are doing without having to fly across the country!

Previous

Return to general design discussion

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list