Re: Bad Design that you are Forced to Have

Postby Travisimo » December 3rd, 2012, 1:22 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mr-914 wrote:Travis: It's hard to design something that works in all languages. The best thing that I've found in place of 1 and 0 is a empty circle (off) and a full circle (on). I havne't tested it to verify the efficacy though.

Also, those toilets are pushed by standards organisations and building codes, not users. I like the idea, but they do seem to be nasty in reality.

Both good points, though the end result is the same - poor usability and performance. They could be better.

Postby sanjy009 » December 3rd, 2012, 6:27 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

Travisimo wrote:The second is the low water use toilets that are common in some areas.. you know the ones with the tiny bit of water the bottom, not a lagoon, within a try funnel of ceramic. So if it takes several flushes and a swish with a brush to leave it in a decent state, is it really saving water?

That is low tide.

I think it's cultural, my experience of North American toilets is the luxury of so much water, that rises majestically before cleanly taking it all away. German/ Austrian toilets have an 'inspection plate' (I've been told from eating so much meat, there was/ is a need to check for parasites). Mediterranean toilets that can't handle loo paper, so there is a delightful bin next to the bog. The odd combo Japanese urinal/ w.c., with the long handles so that it's hard to work out which way you face it.

My favourite ever toilet was in Lisbon; a normal w.c but instead of a press flush it had a large numbered dial i.e. "that curry last night was an 'eight' ".

Postby yo » December 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

A dial? I love it. Makes sense. Surprised that has not caught on more. I couldn't even find a google image of one.

Postby NURB » December 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

NURB

sanjy009 wrote:. "that curry last night was an 'eight' ".

Oh, man. Just about spit out my beer.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Mr-914 » December 4th, 2012, 7:53 am

Mr-914

I hope the dial goes to "11".

Those German toilets are whacky. Feel free to do a google search. I was afraid I'd lose my lunch, but apparently the gross images are a ways down the list (further than I dared look).
Ray Jepson

"Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end, an end which it was already but too easy to arrive at...." Thoreau

Postby Travisimo » December 4th, 2012, 10:25 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've seen those German one's before, but never heard that part about the meat eating (gross!) Hilarious about the 11 - I like to see that too. I wasn't thinking of it at the time, but toilets do vary widely out there.. I guess I'm lucky they aren't as gnarly as the could be!

Postby yo » December 4th, 2012, 12:51 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Mr-914 wrote:I hope the dial goes to "11".

;-)

Postby OliFirth » April 3rd, 2013, 10:43 am

OliFirth
step one
step one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365003347.116654.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365003347.116654.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Shower gel bottle: I don't have to "live" with this as such but I can tell in the next week or so until it runs out, it's going to bug me. The contour of the cap means that unless you want to risk a waterfall of shower gel by tipping it vertically, most of gel pools in cap and slowly treacles into your hand.

Maybe I'm over thinking it but it still bugs me:)

Previous

Return to general design discussion

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list