Re: Bad Design that you are Forced to Have

Postby Travisimo » December 3rd, 2012, 1:22 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mr-914 wrote:Travis: It's hard to design something that works in all languages. The best thing that I've found in place of 1 and 0 is a empty circle (off) and a full circle (on). I havne't tested it to verify the efficacy though.

Also, those toilets are pushed by standards organisations and building codes, not users. I like the idea, but they do seem to be nasty in reality.

Both good points, though the end result is the same - poor usability and performance. They could be better.

Postby sanjy009 » December 3rd, 2012, 6:27 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

Travisimo wrote:The second is the low water use toilets that are common in some areas.. you know the ones with the tiny bit of water the bottom, not a lagoon, within a try funnel of ceramic. So if it takes several flushes and a swish with a brush to leave it in a decent state, is it really saving water?

That is low tide.

I think it's cultural, my experience of North American toilets is the luxury of so much water, that rises majestically before cleanly taking it all away. German/ Austrian toilets have an 'inspection plate' (I've been told from eating so much meat, there was/ is a need to check for parasites). Mediterranean toilets that can't handle loo paper, so there is a delightful bin next to the bog. The odd combo Japanese urinal/ w.c., with the long handles so that it's hard to work out which way you face it.

My favourite ever toilet was in Lisbon; a normal w.c but instead of a press flush it had a large numbered dial i.e. "that curry last night was an 'eight' ".

Postby yo » December 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

A dial? I love it. Makes sense. Surprised that has not caught on more. I couldn't even find a google image of one.

Postby NURB » December 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm

NURB

sanjy009 wrote:. "that curry last night was an 'eight' ".

Oh, man. Just about spit out my beer.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @Mike_FTW

Postby Mr-914 » December 4th, 2012, 7:53 am

Mr-914

I hope the dial goes to "11".

Those German toilets are whacky. Feel free to do a google search. I was afraid I'd lose my lunch, but apparently the gross images are a ways down the list (further than I dared look).
Ray Jepson

"L'homme n'est rien. L'œuvre c'est tout." Gustave Flaubert

Postby Travisimo » December 4th, 2012, 10:25 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

I've seen those German one's before, but never heard that part about the meat eating (gross!) Hilarious about the 11 - I like to see that too. I wasn't thinking of it at the time, but toilets do vary widely out there.. I guess I'm lucky they aren't as gnarly as the could be!

Postby yo » December 4th, 2012, 12:51 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Mr-914 wrote:I hope the dial goes to "11".

;-)

Postby OliFirth » April 3rd, 2013, 10:43 am

OliFirth
step one
step one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365003347.116654.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365003347.116654.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 409 times

Shower gel bottle: I don't have to "live" with this as such but I can tell in the next week or so until it runs out, it's going to bug me. The contour of the cap means that unless you want to risk a waterfall of shower gel by tipping it vertically, most of gel pools in cap and slowly treacles into your hand.

Maybe I'm over thinking it but it still bugs me:)

Previous

Return to general design discussion

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list