iPhone 5 Industrial Design

Oppo Finder at 6.65mm.

Glad the earbuds are better though, but from the reviews I’ve read I’m hearing they aren’t as good as other comparable $30 in ear headphones that you can buy. I will have a pair in a week when I get my new Nano though so we’ll see, even though I plan on replacing them anyways.

Do you still need to use some proprietary driver to get those secret screws off? I’m glad that it’s a lot easier to get apart though.

Held my first iP5 today. Pretty and tight tech looking.

Too light. Too thin. Too narrow. As I saw it here in Japan, it fits perfectly into the context of traditional Japanese vertically oriented narrow phones.

Globally with the large size phones that seem to be increasing in popularity everywhere else, it looks very black, delicate and feminine.

It feels like a Rado watch in the time when the wristwatch center of gravity was switching toward the size of Panerai watches.

If it was 15-20mm wider, it would still look delicate but would be the correct size for me.

When I see videos like that, it makes me want to whip out a Moh’s hardness scale and start counting.

The good news is, everyone will get free boots again!

People pissed and moaned about the 2G case, then the cheap plastic on the 3G and 3GS would constantly crack along the thin sections (not to mention wear like crap), the glass on the 4’s was easily shattered on face drop so now even the back of your phone could shatter, and now we’re back to being upset that a metal harder than aluminum can scratch it.

That’s why I stopped putting my keys in the pocket with my phone…7 years ago.

People really assume that these things are supposed to be indestructible? That’s just ignorant.

How can this even be a complaint? “Oops I dropped my expensive electronic device on the concrete and now the back is scratched. I demand restitution!”

There are varying degrees of scratch resistance of coatings. Some are acceptable, some not.

70% of iphone users use cases. The iP5 is too pretty to cover up that is goig to add to the issue. Even in real life it is hard to distinguish from a rendering when new.

Anyhow, any fan of Blade Runner or District 9 knows you have to rough up tech to give it character.

There you go, I want their next ID theme to be “post-apocalypse”, make it so naturally worn and covered with acid burns and chemical stains you could never tell if it had a scratch!

I think the new iPhone design is very deterministic. Which is a good thing.
It’s important to make the right compromises, which means changing things to much just for the sake of it isn’t always a good solution.

It’s like evolution in nature, sometimes a species stay for the same for millions of years, and suddenly it may change dramatically to adapt to new circumstances.

So are there any early adopters here who can give as a user review. I’m still on a 3GS and am torn between getting a secondhand 4S or new 5. Not sure if the 5 is worth double the price though I have to agree is looks and feels a lot more refined than the 4s (went to an Apple store to check the 5 out).

I am still on my iPhone 3 as well. I look forward to upgrading to the 5 when my contract is up. I have really enjoyed both phones and I have been very impress with the industrial product design of the iPhone. Apple always makes a great product!

A few people here got the 5 release week. I have been too busy to put myself on the upgrade list, plus I’m toying with switching to a Nokia windows phone… Overall it is nice. Thinner, lighter, bigger screen. The black finish scratches very easily, which is why I like the nokias.

“iPhone 5 the “most difficult” to assemble…”

http://www.popherald.com/20121021_apple_iphone_5_foxconn_assemble_unlocked_price-20191

I held an iPhone 5 in the store yesterday, and was really negatively surprised. The glass insets on the rear looked and felt like plastic. I got the glass on the rear of the iPhone 4, because it looked and felt like glass, but I see absolutely zero reason to have those seemingly unnecessary details on the iPhone 5, unless there are engineering reasons (but the iPhone Touch doesn’t have them).

Also, even worse, there were very visible black gaps between the glass insets and the metal. All this talk about super precision in the assembly, and I can clearly see gaps. How the heck did that happen?

Again, just as when the iPhone 4 was released, I’m praying that the next iPhone will look morel like the absolutely gorgeous iPod Touch models (last one with chrome rear better than the current one, imo, but current still miles better than the iPhone 5).

Bright side is that I feel no remorse sticking with my iPhone 3. :slight_smile:

The glass details are where the WAN (Cellular) antennas are located. Those antennas need clearance from metal parts to function properly. That’s why every cell phone you see, even with metal construction will always have some clever way of getting the RF out.

The Ipod touch doesn’t need those covers because it only has LAN/Bluetooth antennas which are much more forgiving.

There are a few details that I believe were overlooked with the iPhone 5.
I have owed an iPhone since the 3GS with the 4S being what I believe the most functional.

Now I love the look of the 5 and the details, chamfer, speaker housing etc. but the fact is they have produced an anodised aluminium chassis that rubs off on the edges.
I don’t use a case and have my phone in my pocket by itself. I purchased the 5 on the release date and within 3 days the sharp edges of the chamfer were showing signs of wear.
Not a major issue regarding functionality but an over site that I believe is just laziness and would make me think twice about buying from a company that has always prided itself on design detail above and beyond.

Why The Next iPhone Has A Two-Toned Metal Backplate

So, it was the engineering reason. Now I can go back to be annoyed that just like on the original iPhone, the rear antenna cover doesn’t line up to the front edges of the display when you turn the phone over. :slight_smile:

I wanted one initally, but because of the price I choose the galaxy SIII

Regarding the design, I LOVE IT!!! its one sexy phone. the black finish on the metal covering the sides and the grade of black used is pure perfection for that phone. The soft curves perfected beyond all reason makes it look like something you could cradle in your hands forever :smiley: The choice to make it longer also resides well with me, it gives a bigger screen, without distorting the “Feel” of having a lightweight and very portable phone.

great to have it in my hand with so light weight of just 112grms but expectation was something different and high of its overall look. Anyhow looking for more applications to work with…