Close

Re: What did I just give $50 to IDSA for?

Postby chevisw » October 5th, 2010, 12:18 pm

chevisw
full self-realization
full self-realization

Linda,

You are correct I should have provided you the opportunity to respond.

Postby yo » October 5th, 2010, 12:18 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

CG_ precisely!

Chevis_ I'm always open for a debate if it is something I am passionate about. Perhaps it could be on the topic of the IDSA itself ;-)

Linda_ my biggest concern with IDSA can all be summed up with this single quote: "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do" Henry Ford. Having been a former chapter chair and vice chair on the professional side, I can assure you, most professional chapters run with a similar level of autonomy. I'm also close friends with several ex-chairs across the country, and all have the same feeling. In fact, you would be surprised how many ex-chairs are no longer even IDSA members after their experience.

So a question, would the the CMU student chapter of the IDSA have any more or less support and validity if it was just the CMU Student Design League or some such? Would it be a smaller or bigger deal?

There are a few benefits, being included in IDSA regional and national merit award winner competition perhaps? Any others? Weigh that against time spent dealing with national that could be spent creating a better org and content for your students?

Postby tarngerine » October 5th, 2010, 12:22 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

So our chapter advisor Wayne just forwarded me an email that IDSA West Penn wants student shorts detailing walkthroughs of the new site and how we'd use it. Apparently the site is in 'beta'. We'll gladly critique the website. I'm looking forward to it.

Postby cg » October 5th, 2010, 12:25 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization

CMU huh? I think I've heard of that place. ...Oh yeah, the first school of Industrial Design in the US. Respect.

Postby linda_dong » October 5th, 2010, 3:07 pm

linda_dong
step three
step three

yo wrote:So a question, would the the CMU student chapter of the IDSA have any more or less support and validity if it was just the CMU Student Design League or some such? Would it be a smaller or bigger deal?

There are a few benefits, being included in IDSA regional and national merit award winner competition perhaps? Any others? Weigh that against time spent dealing with national that could be spent creating a better org and content for your students?

The thought has run across my head many times. Right now we have the minimum number of IDSA student members to qualify as an "official" student chapter. However the majority of our students (50+ of them) only pay our CMU IDSA fee that we place in order to help pay for design trips and food. Take away the IDSA part of it and we almost remain the exact same organization.

The benefits I can see for students right away:
- The ability to participate in national merit award competitions (the determining factor for most of our students)
- Being able to put the nice official sounding "IDSA student member" on your resume
- Discounts on regional conferences (although they end up being too expensive for us anyway)

All the other "perks" they advertise don't have too much resonance with our students. Newsletters, quarterly publications, and discounted recordings of designers talking don't exactly stir excitement in college students.

What I'd love to see happen, and which our organization is trying to achieve on it's own, is IDSA really leveraging social media to help get student chapters connected with other student chapters and to help us get JOBS. We want to use IDSA to see what other design schools are up to, what ID firms are hiring, and to showcase our school's work. Right now we use Coroflot, Fast Company, and NotCot, etc. to do those things informally. An IDSA blog or podcast would be great. Student Chapter mixers/visits would be even better.

I guess the main thing our chapter is trying to achieve, that we find lacking in IDSA, is just rejuvenating the fun back into design. It's refreshing to visit and see all the cool stuff that IDers end up doing in the real world. And it's nice to get together with friends and do silly competitions to design laser-enabled walrus medicine cabinets. The last thing we want is to sit down at a meeting and discuss how national is still working on the website and that a conference irrelevant to our interests is occurring 6 hours away if you pay $250. IDSA just needs to be fun again.
Trying to look good limits my life - Sagmeister
http://www.lindadong.com

Postby tarngerine » October 5th, 2010, 3:45 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

In my mind IDSA is kind of a party pooper sometimes.

For example, we were planning our Fall trip to Fallingwater, which turned out great! But when planning and sending emails to the CMU design community, we were chastised for using the name "IDSA" when hosting the event because we were not yet a nationally recognized chapter (meaning we hadn't forked over the 5 student x $50 minimum)... I was really upset with that.

Anyway, ditto everything Linda said. We want more contact with real design professionals, both local and further away (like SF and NY). Mentorships would be fantastic.

Postby Sain » October 5th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Sain
full self-realization
full self-realization

I'm one of the officers over at the UC student chapter of IDSA. Though I don't think we are an official chapter yet. (Currently interning so im a bit of the loop till winter.)But we have had some of the same issues that the CMU chapter has had. Not sure if we have convince enough students to join IDSA. I thought it was a total of 10 students at $50 a piece not 5. But maybe I'm mistaken.

The only real benifit we can pitch is the National Merit Award and the national convention is in Cincinnati, so the discount is a bit more of a perk as well. Though like Linda and Targ have pointed out its a bit costly for most students to go and our funding can only cover a few students every year.

As for the national IDSA chapter, we, from what I have seen we have had good reaction from local professionals. It surprised me how many people where willing to take out time to give stop by and give lectures and speeches. However, I'm not sure how much the IDSA aspect was involved in those decisions, instead of just wanting to help out younger students.

We're are really pushing for involvement from our local IDSA chapter, hoping we can kick off a solid relationship with them. From what I hear theres a lot of people wanting to do things, just not enough people asking. Its good to hear that other student chapters are trying the same thing. Hopefully, we student groups, can give a a jump start to to national chapters and start getting a bit more involvement.

p.s. We took some ideas from CMU's chapter and begun building a website. http://ucidsa.com. However its still in rough shape and needs a bit of work.
emmanuel carrillo - emmanuelcarrillo.com

Postby tarngerine » October 5th, 2010, 11:41 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

rockin that futura?

Postby Sain » October 5th, 2010, 11:47 pm

Sain
full self-realization
full self-realization

tarngerine wrote:rockin that futura?

Close. :wink: http://www.houseind.com/fonts/neutraface
emmanuel carrillo - emmanuelcarrillo.com

Previous

Return to DESIGN ASSOCIATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS