step four

A toast....TO CONSTRAINTS!

Re: A new design organization?

Postby NURB » November 12th, 2010, 10:09 am

NURB

To Constraints!
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby chevisw » November 12th, 2010, 10:19 am

chevisw
full self-realization
full self-realization

Cheers!

Postby bcpid » November 12th, 2010, 1:57 pm

bcpid
step four
step four

Back to the question of certification / licensing etc.

I think in order for it to work, this would have to be done on a modular basis, and there would need to be an element of peer review and standardized knowledge. For instance, you might test or certify separately on:

1) plastics technology - std
2) plastic forming operations - std
3) Voice of the customer - std
4) form development - peer
5) ideation skills - peer
6) scenarios and designing interactions
7) product development cycles
etc etc etc etc.

There could easily be 20 or 30 modules. There may be a core of 5 that all designers must demonstrate mastery of, and then another 5 to form a concentration, and a third group of 5 to either deepen or expand to a second area, and so on. Seems like that would at least provide some structure to it, while providing a useful amount of flexibility since ID is a big tent.

Any thoughts?

Postby no_spec » November 12th, 2010, 2:40 pm

no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization

I understand the feeling that more training/certification is beneficial, but I'm opposed to having a design org fill that role when universities are so much better at it.
If your school didn't introduce all of the aspects of design in the real world, and show you how to go and teach yourself what you need, when you need to - don't expect an underfunded volunteer based organization to do that for you. Network instead.

the general lack of prestige of IDSA membership will have to find another vehicle - perhaps peer admission as YO suggests.

Generally though I think the rest of what YO describes could be achieved by a sufficiently motivated local chapter.
the need to go have beers with other designers is one thing, to drive across state(s) or get on a plane to do so is unrealistic.
the need for inspirational activities is greatest in the hinterlands not big cities, inclusive virtual interactions will have to be part of whatever the new world order involves.

funding/membership dues are going to be the biggest hurdle. YO, how would you charge?

Postby yo » November 12th, 2010, 4:31 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

bcpid wrote:So....

1) Would you be evaluated by other designers, or would you be evaluated by a diverse board of product development decisionmakers, or a split of both? I prefer the latter two options as they are more reflective of how designers are really evaluated.

I would not be a part of any organization where an engineer decided if I was a designer or not. Since non designers could not be in the organization, it makes no sense that they would decide who could be.

I think you would have to be reviewed by "the founders" a select group within the select group. "the founders" would be the people that founded the organization at first, in time, others would be nominated to join... not unlike the moderator group here at core77. The core77 founders selected the initial group, eventually they made me admin, which meant I was able to knight future moderators, but we do it as a group with at least a minimal quorum.

Postby simon_four_fingers » November 21st, 2010, 6:04 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:I would not be a part of any organization where an engineer decided if I was a designer or not. Since non designers could not be in the organization, it makes no sense that they would decide who could be.

Ditto.
no_spec wrote:Generally though I think the rest of what YO describes could be achieved by a sufficiently motivated local chapter.

funding/membership dues are going to be the biggest hurdle. YO, how would you charge?

I work with motivated local people to do IDSA stuff. There are the local (and regional) students, a few designers, and us/ the board who are motivated. Everybody else seems to be lethargic and disinterested, but that is a staple of the area I live in. I think if you are in a city that is generally optimistic your local chapter can really do cool things and have a good turn out for everything, Chicago comes to mind.

Funding and bookkeeping are always a hassle. I would think that there is some firm somewhere that dose that sort of thing. Then since it would mostly be online with maybe a regional or national conference every year, it wouldn't be all that hard. Building additional value for membership would be the hard part.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Postby GEBS » November 21st, 2010, 6:25 pm

GEBS
step four
step four

How about some health insurance. IDSA group rate.

Postby warrenginn » November 21st, 2010, 9:45 pm

warrenginn

GEBS wrote:How about some health insurance. IDSA group rate.

There is... take a look:

http://www.idsa.org/content/health-insu ... sa-members

~w~
Warren Ginn, FIDSA
GinnDesign, LLC
http://www.ginndesign.com

Assistant Professor of the Practice, Industrial Design
NC State University
http://design.ncsu.edu/people/warren-ginn-fidsa

Previous

Return to DESIGN ASSOCIATIONS & ORGANIZATIONS