CAD Render-Rama

In the sketching forum we have Doodling… in the footwear forum we have Sketch-Fu… it came up in another discussion that it might be nice to have the equivalent for rendering.

Not sure why it took so long, but I give you Render-Rama… post up you CAD renders.

Let me prime the pump with one I had chugging in the background while I was doing some sketching :slight_smile:

Alright…lets share some 3D Renders…

Lots of CAD rendering work in my last two positions. Mostly Bunkspeed, though I think the watch was VRay.

Shelving is rendered - room, furniture, etc. is photography

100% rendered

100% rendered

Rendered with some Photoshop post

100% rendered

This was a re-rendering of an old project exploring a copper/black cmf just for the fun of it.

Here’s an airplane interior. I’ll see what else I can find.

Sweet renders!

engelhjs, the short depth of field on that phone shelf render is really making it pop!

Getting back into Keyshot after a 5+ year hiatus. Everything is modeled in SolidWorks; glamour renders in Keyshot, surface layout render in SW Photoview. Post in Photoshop.

How do you do plywood endgrain? Do you need to make a scaled texture per thickness of plywood?

Shoe Renderings…

Side view…

Modeled in Rhino,rendered in Keyshot…

Other one…

Yes that is one of the best product renderings I have seen in a while!

You can offset the end grain surface by a hundredth of a millimeter to apply a specific texture to it.
Make sure to round all the geometry’s edges by at least a tenth so that you do not notice the slight offset either directly or in the drop shadows.

Exactly. If I remember correctly I modeled to the correct millimeter thickness of the reference plywood (not the nominal inch-based thickness), built a repeating pattern from some available endgrain images, played with each texture’s scale until I had the correct number of plys applied to each surface, and applied a simple bump or normal map to get a little extra texture. It was super time consuming but ultimately worth it.

I create each of the plies as a separate body in SolidWorks so that way a distinct material can be applied to each body. I first create the primary surface, then thicken, then copy the bottom surface, thicken again, etc etc for each of the plies. This technique has the advantage of creating edges that are normal to each of the surfaces which is great for modeling molded plywood. I apply a darker wood material to the alternating plies when rendered to help mimic the different grain directions.

Definitely the way to go if you’re rendering molded plywood.

Really nice stuff! - was that actual work for Herman Miller or just a side project? Would be interested to hear what you used for the leather creases and fiberglass shaders as well.

Most of my work is in the systems furniture environment, but here are some more product focused images done recently for the FDIC show