Close

problem, help me

Postby dungsmile4242 » April 18th, 2018, 4:24 am

dungsmile4242

Hi I'm a ID student looking to get into designing shades and sports glasses.

Anyone have any tips or tutorials on how to accurately model sunglasses?

Do you just scan a real one first or do you build it from scratch?

I'm learning to model in Rhino but just a beginner. Not great yet.

I want to be able to print it out in 3D and wear it so it has to be precise.

I am having trouble with controlling forms around the nose bridge. It's still hard for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: problem, help me

Postby Cyberdemon » April 18th, 2018, 10:05 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Very few designers scan and then build around a scan. Sunglasses are always challenging because everyone has a different size head, but you can get a sense of scale by either importing a 3D model of a head and making sure it is scaled to the dimensions you want, or just starting with a rough mockup in paper and measuring it to get a sense of what measurements need to go into 3D.

If you are just learning to model and have access to a 3D printer, or enough money to get it printed on a site like Shapeways, then you can build the glasses and prototype them - like any real design process you should never expect your first design to be perfect, and you'd need a lot of iterations.

In terms of getting better at your modeling skills, it will take practice. There are plenty of Rhino tutorial sites and videos out there between Google/Youtube and other sites you should be able to find plenty of inspiration.

Re: problem, help me

Postby ralphzoontjens » April 19th, 2018, 10:28 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

Start with a good idea and develop a design completely your own based on the main dimensions.
Then paper prototypes are a great way to get your head around the sizes. A 138 or 140 frame width already makes a significant difference for eyewear.

If you are working with Rhino3D consider the Grasshopper plug-in to develop a scalable design according to variable input parameters. If designed well you will have an entirely parametric design and ready for 3D printing!
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Return to software and technology