Close

Modeling and Rendering Floppy Materials

Postby jon_winebrenner » October 5th, 2017, 4:38 pm

jon_winebrenner

Hi All:

I'm working on a silicone product that is floppy like a swimming cap. I've modeled it in its raw for (think like a 1/2 sphere).

I'd like to bring it into Keyshot and have it look like it would look lying on the table opposed to a rigid plastic part.

Any thoughts on a solution for this that saves me from remodeling in it's relaxed state? I'd also like to avoid buying 3DS or some other rendering package for thousands of dollars as this is a one off issue....or one that only seems to pop up once every year or two.

Re: Modeling and Rendering Floppy Materials

Postby Mrog » October 5th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

Download Blender and do this tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpsN1-W-Qw

Then export your object with a very high density and bring it to Blender and have fun experimenting :D

Postby Dan Lewis » October 5th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Dan Lewis
step four
step four

jon_winebrenner wrote:Hi All:

I'm working on a silicone product that is floppy like a swimming cap. I've modeled it in its raw for (think like a 1/2 sphere).

I'd like to bring it into Keyshot and have it look like it would look lying on the table opposed to a rigid plastic part.

Any thoughts on a solution for this that saves me from remodeling in it's relaxed state? I'd also like to avoid buying 3DS or some other rendering package for thousands of dollars as this is a one off issue....or one that only seems to pop up once every year or two.

You can now rent 3DS by the month.

Postby KenoLeon » October 5th, 2017, 9:23 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Marvelous designer could work, you would have to make a pattern first, then simulate the floppiness and export as a mesh,there's a free trial.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby cadjunkie » November 4th, 2017, 10:07 pm

cadjunkie
step three
step three

As pointed out this can be done with Blender but you will have to dive in heavily with regards to the new interface, UI....etc. One alternative is Modo which does have a dynamic system in it and can definitely render WAY better than Keyshot any day of the week.

Postby Mickel_Edwards » November 27th, 2017, 9:44 am

Mickel_Edwards

What I would do is make a mesh through Rhino 3D and then use the Kangaroo plugin for Grasshopper. This plugin gives you the ability to use a physics engine within your model and will make the object look nice and floppy, as if you dropped it on a table

Return to software and technology