Close

Re: 3D Patterns on Compound Surfaces/Solids

Postby cadjunkie » August 13th, 2017, 8:24 pm

cadjunkie
step three
step three

louis leblanc wrote:
cadjunkie wrote:@Keno: you could take it even a step further and use the image to mask with and then use the extract command....:)

Anyone who thinks that grasshopper for this kind of thing would be quicker is definitely smoking some serious doobies!!!

:lol: out of curiosity, I tried it in grasshopper and got it done in about 1.5 hour - it's also my first time really using Grassopper in a surfacing/meshing capacity. I typically use it for stuff more closely related to architecture. It's certainly doable but I wouldn't call it trivial. It's probably way faster to do it with some kind of 2D mapped displacement method. You could always use Grasshopper to make the 2D asset... :roll:

texturePattern.PNG

@Louis...even the best GH person wouldn't be able to set this up faster than doing this as a displacement map. More than anything else right tool for the right job...In this instance there's no comparison. The only reason why I'd shy away from Rhino's native displacement is that the UV mapping capability is "ok" at best. Also the possibility that you may need to crank up the settings in the displacement options can, at times, slow down a lot because of how Rhino handles mesh. Especially when this is compared to zBrush.

@Keno: not sure what you mean by step up, zBrush is only $800. So if anything I do believe that you'd only have to pay the difference in price in order to upgrade. BUT this could be done in zBrush Core.

Postby KenoLeon » August 13th, 2017, 9:16 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

cadjunkie wrote:@Keno: not sure what you mean by step up, zBrush is only $800. So if anything I do believe that you'd only have to pay the difference in price in order to upgrade. BUT this could be done in zBrush Core.

@cadjunkie: They knock out $100 of the price if you have zBrush Core, so $700 to upgrade. It is around $1,100 if you plan on using it on Mac + PC, it is my understanding ( i might be wrong) that using images as masks is not available on zBrush Core (which I do have), my example was made applying an image alpha to a brush which is supported on zBrush core. I would pay the $700-1100 for the upgrade if I had a project that needed the extra features or if I was doing sculpting for a living which unfortunately I am not.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby cadjunkie » August 13th, 2017, 10:23 pm

cadjunkie
step three
step three

@Keno: Understood.... I guess my only question would be...why would you need it for both Mac and PC? Do you alternate that much between both? If not just upgrade with what you have. Though I do agree that there shouldn't be an additional price difference just to get the software to operate on both platforms.

Postby KenoLeon » August 13th, 2017, 11:35 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

cadjunkie wrote:.why would you need it for both Mac and PC?

Mostly convenience, I use both platforms roughly the same, I've thought about going full Mac, but there are still a few things I prefer and need doing on a PC, mostly non design things like web- app development & coding.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby cadjunkie » August 14th, 2017, 8:07 am

cadjunkie
step three
step three

KenoLeon wrote:
cadjunkie wrote:.why would you need it for both Mac and PC?

Mostly convenience, I use both platforms roughly the same, I've thought about going full Mac, but there are still a few things I prefer and need doing on a PC, mostly non design things like web- app development & coding.

Then just use Boot Camp on a Mac and call it a day if laying out the $$ for an upgrade isn't in your budget.

Previous

Return to software and technology