Close

2D Animation Software

Postby reddogf5 » January 29th, 2016, 2:49 pm

reddogf5

This is probably a long shot, but there is a lot of knowledge here so I thought I would ask:
Can anyone recommend an easy, inexpensive piece of software that can create 2D animation, as in cartoons? Any input appreciated, thanks.

Re: 2D Animation Software

Postby seurban » January 29th, 2016, 4:24 pm

seurban
step three
step three

The latest release of Sketchbook Pro can do animation. I've played with it a little and it seems decent for simple animated sketches, but I don't have any experience with others to compare it to. I have done animations in Flash, but that's a whole different style (not really for drawings, though you could import them I guess, more movement of shapes) and more expensive.

Postby KenoLeon » January 29th, 2016, 5:12 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I was checking animation packages for my TailLigths video and it seemed that Toon Boom was the industry Standard, but wasn't that affordable ($300 - 2k) , the next one I considered was Anime Studio ($50- $300 ), that looked promising, I've learned to love Manga Studio (from the same company) , but the learning curve was steep and the UI is from the 80's.

I ended up using my trusty photoshop CS6 , which has a simple animation panel with or without keyframes, it is not as nice as the above, but I already had it, It is mostly just a timeline to post keyframes ( my video uses simple tweening) , but if you are importing keyframes from say illustrator or somewhere else, it is probably the simplest and chances are you already have it.

I did a lot of Flash/Actionscript in my time, I would stay away unless you need to add some programatic/interactive animation.

Good Luck,
Keno
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby anjin » January 31st, 2016, 9:50 am

anjin

Also adobe illustrator himself can manage animations. But I suppose a dedicate software should/could be better at it.
Just my two cents

Postby reddogf5 » February 1st, 2016, 8:43 am

reddogf5

Thanks for the input, I will check out Anime Studio.

Return to software and technology