Mac Mini and Cores

One thing to keep in mind is that some render packages will charge you more for render nodes, so that may add to cost when considering that route.

I also recommend the PC route if you are going to be rendering a lot. The cost of technology will be significantly cheaper and more configurable to your specific needs. We have a few different configurations here at work. The E5 machines are excellent, but for the cost I would go with the 4930. It really is surprising how fast that is for being a consumer grade card. And as mentioned, you dont have to get into server motherboard so you will save some money there. You can get also get some motherboards with 8 RAM slots in them if you would like to upgrade later.

In terms of video cards, most of our machines are on k5000’s, but we do have a few with multiple GTX970 or 980. To be honest, we dont have any issues with any of them. I have yet to run into any errors with anything. However, that may be due to the software I am using, so your results may vary.

We primarily use Max and vray as well as the Adobe stuff. However, we have also ran Rhino, autocad, sketchup, octane, corona, and a few others. I havent loaded up Solidworks on any of the GTX machines, nor have experience in keyshot on them.