BIM

It sounds like right now you’ve got some of the best tools needed from a visualization stand point, I mean Modo just rocks when it comes to that.

So if along that line if you are possibly starting your model in Solidworks and then importing into Modo then rendering, then you know that it’s possible to bring materials applied in Solidworks and have them render right in Modo. But if you look at the shader tree, with just the default import settings, then the materials names don’t make a whole lot of sense. Think of the information needed from BIM that comes from Solidworks in the same way. Because if you have the Solidworks Kit for Modo then it does a much better job at translating the material names in a way that makes sense. (Now IMO it should do this natively without the kit). Solidworks has BOM’s, tables, etc that give any and all information needed. Measurements, sizes, colors and really, and this is kind of simplifying it, is pretty much what BIM is giving.

If nothing else, it would really just be a matter of lining up apples to apples and then streamlining the workflow. Though I’ve not seen it a whole ton, I have seen a few Architectural firms meld SW/Revit in a very comprehensive way.