Rendered Product shots for packaging

Hello,

I 'm doing a research if we can use a rendered product shots instead of using a traditional photography with the actual product.

1. Are there companies doing a rendered image for their packaging and collaterals?
  2. If yes, do you have samples of these type of packaging or photo realistic renderings?

Absolutely.
But it probably depends of the product you are trying to sell.
In CE, I would think that most packaging shots are indeed renders. Such as Apple, Beats, ect.

For softgoods and products produced in a natural material, it might be more of a challenge.

It’s very common. I do it for clients all the time. Several reasons are the actual product isn’t available until way too late in the process to photograph. The cost of professional studio photography is very expensive (worth it if you need it, but still expensive).

These are all examples of 3D renders used to advertise products…

This topic reminds me of this article from a while back.
It’s about how IKEA now often opts to render instead of shoot for their catalogue.

Good one, I’d forgotten about that article

As mentioned, yes it’s done quite often. Though personally, good photography will almost always communicate better than renders (the exception being, very high vis renders from a production house… i.e. Beats/Apple). For a lot of industries (watches, softgoods, etc.) – photography is the standard and renders stick out like a sore thumb.

Also worth noting, that whichever method you go with – you’ll want to have the best retouchers you can afford.

Some favorite examples below:
http://www.travisrathbone.com/travis-rathbone/still-life

When researching Modo I came across this.

It all depends on the skill of the person doing the rendering, creative direction and re-touching. I believe a lot of car companies use renderings for their brochures. Awfully convenient in today’s “I need it yesterday” even if the product isn’t in production yet.

Thanks everyone for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of render houses that specialize in this. We always use renders. As mentioned, there is still retouching needed.

We use a few firms, but most often we use XYZ:

The renders often look better than the real thing.

I generally advise using 3D renders over product photography because it is much more cost- and time-effective and flexible in terms of studio and model setup. It generates good, professional results. If you want to go the extra mile, such as capturing a specific mood or material such as a rustic wood, an aged material, a specific type of silicone, or capturing a lot of detail such as for jewellery, I sometimes do recommend using product photography. There are some tricks to creating realistic looking renders, as the eye easily spots signs of artificiality that make the render appear ‘off’. Such as putting textures on every part. There’s a balance between what you can do with virtual environments over real photography, while maintaining a sense of realism.

A presentation about how IKEA systematically approaches product rendering. The volumes are astonishing - 15 new models and 180 4K images produced - per day.

Love the specially developed gravity and earthquake tools for scene building.

About 30% of studio work I do is for packaging, and yes, my answer for your question is absolutely yes.
there are few aspects which photographer need to keep in mind during a shoot. If you can do that perfect, your products would be on whole new level.

here are some samples:

What is an Order Management System (OMS)?
An order management system is the central nervous system of a modern multichannel retail operation. In a nutshell, an Order Management System conducts the orchestra of systems that process customer orders, assign them to be fulfilled and shipped, track status throughout the process, and synchronize that information across all of the systems and people that need it. Order fulfillment systems
Sounds easy? When retailers sold only through stores, it was a whole lot easier. As sales channels have proliferated, and customer service expectations have increased, the mission of the Order Management System has expanded.

Omni-Channel is a unique way of sales approach through many channels and in different directions.

As we know, even the smallest business in going online these days, be it a simple beauty product to a quick service restaurant.

To cope up with the growing needs we need to consider the modern approach to marketing and sales and not restrict ourselves only to the old classical ways.

Having a right POS system is important, but having that right POS with the latest technology to enhance your marketing is the need.

Magestore Web-based POS is an Omni channel sales solution.

Aheadworks

Áo đôi thể hiện tình yêu, sự gắn kết với những người bạn yêu quý. Ở bên cạnh họ, bạn luôn luôn cảm thấy hạnh phúc. Đó là những người thấu hiểu và có những điểm tương đồng với bạn. Chúng ta yêu và làm những điều “điên rồ” cùng nhau. Có thể dễ dàng thấy xu hướng hot của các cặp đôi, bạn thân hay gia đình thời nay là mặc những bộ đồ đôi với nhau. Vậy ý nghĩa của việc mặc chúng là gì?

Để nổi bật
Các cặp nhóm muốn trở nên nổi bật trong những sự kiện đặc biệt, đó là lý do họ bận lên mình những bộ đồ đôi. Mọi người xung quanh sẽ chú ý, và hiểu rằng những người mặc thuộc về nhau nhờ những chiếc áo này.

Sự gắn kết
Sự gắn kết mạnh mẽ trong một mối quan hệ có thể giúp các cặp nhóm làm những điều ý nghĩa cùng nhau. Và áo phông đôi sẽ thể hiện điều đó. Thậm chí những họa tiết trên áo cũng giúp người xem hiểu mối liên kết giữa những người mặc ra sao.

Biểu tượng đoàn kết
Việc mặc đồ cặp, hay đồng phục, là biểu tượng của sự đoàn kết trong một mối quan hệ. Không khó để bắt gặp những thành viên trong các hội nhóm hoặc tổ chức mặc những chiếc áo cặp. Giờ đây đó không chỉ là những chiếc áo đơn thuần, mà là biểu tượng của tính đoàn kết, thể hiện sự liên kết mạnh mẽ của các thành viên trong nhóm.

Nguồn: Áo đôi firstdate blog
Screenshot_16.png

while at Bould, on top of the ID, we did most, if not all of the renderings fo Roku’s website/billboards/ads…
We would do anywhere from 10 - 60ish at a time depending on available resources. These are heavily edited post render…

The rendered product shots often come out better than photographs taken through traditional photography, but personally, I prefer traditional photography. And my shots don’t look bad either.

I’m a photographer myself and prefer traditional photography but in the end, the better photograph wins whether it is a rendered shot or a shot taken through traditional photography.