Close

Re: New Windows 8 logo -beautiful or ugly?

Postby Deformat » February 27th, 2012, 8:50 am

Deformat
step two
step two

yo1976 wrote:found this online http://www.windows8update.com/2012/02/2 ... -fun-poll/

I wonder what the guys at FROG would have designed???

Liked the 13th one. That thing really beats the one MS did:

Postby Cameron » February 27th, 2012, 10:08 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

That is nicer. I would use more metro flavor colors, though. Google now owns the board game color scheme (red blue green yellow).
Cameron Nielsen
Personal Site / Coroflot / LinkedIn
"there is an inherent intelligence to beauty" - Dori Tunstall

Postby dc_design » February 28th, 2012, 4:57 pm

dc_design
step one
step one

I'm going to have to call 'bullocks' on this new Windows logo - it defines the very essence of generic and bland!

So, what are their logo claims:

1 - a 'window-like' icon
2 - the name 'Windows 8'
3 - now in a 'fresh' Tron-blue color

Please.

They've lost the essence of their logo completely. There is something familiar (and yes, 'old') about their wavy window logo that I think should really be brought forward to the new 'feeling' of their Windows 8 logo. As it is, this implied 4-pane literal window looks old, tired and generic. There's nothing personally that gets me excited about this logo, or makes me passionate about it.

I would also argue that at some point, you have to look at the window pane without the 'windows 8' mark and see how it stands by itself. After all, they need to think about all of the ways the mark can and will be used, and at some point, if they've built a good enough mark, that would be an aspiration of the window pane - see Apple, Nike, Starbucks, etc. As it sits now, it's a slightly perspective series of blocks. Not very inspiring.

I see a very reactionary, safe and tired logo with nothing ventured and with absolutely no aspirational 'oomph' to have it last long.

Paging the Arnell Group...I think this one may represent another 'Tropicana'-sized event...

Postby dexigner20110 » February 29th, 2012, 8:45 pm

dexigner20110
step two
step two

[quote="dc_design"] There's nothing personally that gets me excited about this logo, or makes me passionate about it.

I agree totally, it doesn't attract in any way

Postby oneonine » March 1st, 2012, 9:55 am

oneonine
step one
step one

I think the logo looks incomplete, it is a nice evolution but it doesn't feel like a great execution. I have to also chuckle a bit at industrial designers trying to be graphic designers. I can generally tell when a graphic designer tries to design a product, and similarly in general IDers have an equally challenging time with graphics and logos. I in no means am disqualifying opinions though- design can't be written by everyone, but for the most part everyone can read it.

That said this logo isn't very special, but its rare to find a modern corporate logo that is.

Optic Lingo
step one
step one

Thumbs up on the new New Windows 8 branding. Nicely integrated into new mobile and desktop products. I like the clean, classy and colorful look.
Optic Lingo, Inc. | http://www.opticlingo.com | We Speak Design

Postby DCypher » March 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

DCypher

I'm not crazy about it but I do like the minimalist approach. Maybe Pentagram can bring some style and sophistication to the bland UI world of Microsoft as well. I'll take a stab... maybe something like this:
Attachments
Windows-8.jpg
Windows-8.jpg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
If someone uses the cliche "form follows function" one more time I'm going to scream!

dexigner20110
step two
step two

I think they should drop the windows Logo on the left or drop the word Windows itself. Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a great combination. I tried windows 8, it's great!!!

Postby Lmo » March 3rd, 2012, 11:15 am

Lmo

I think they should drop the windows Logo on the left or drop the word Windows itself.

Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a great combination.

Nailed.

Ford doesn't modify it's logo for every model ...
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby Deformat » March 5th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Deformat
step two
step two

Or even better: Just use the old WP 7.5 logo (white logo on red square) and add an 8, you'll get a more stylish logo.

Postby Deformat » March 6th, 2012, 11:32 am

Deformat
step two
step two

Out of some retarded reason, I couldn't edit the above post. Some Chrome error.

Nevermind, this is what I mean via a new logo idea:

Postby Mr-914 » March 8th, 2012, 8:45 am

Mr-914

Deformat: Like the Mondrian feel to your earlier post.

Lew: How about this: do you think that graphic design has any effect on Windows sales?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Lmo » March 19th, 2012, 11:18 am

Lmo

whoa... I lost track of this topic... sorry Ray.

do you think that graphic design has any effect on Windows sales?

From this Boomer's point of view; no. In a day of rampant piracy, all I want to know when I buy a product is if it is actually made by the company whose name is on the package; constantly altering a logo is confusing. Take the blue oval; I don't even have to name the company and you know who I am referring.

And yes. People are so inundated by a constant stream of advertising hype touting products and features that it's virtually impossible to know what is what, what is new, or why one needs it.

e.g. A real annoyance to me is the constant media "updating" Apple does to the iPhone series; why isn't it always simply sold as the iPhone; the product should always bear the latest technology without having to "tell" everyone it does. Of curse Apple isn't the only practitioner on this style.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby engio » August 23rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

Postby NURB » August 23rd, 2012, 3:04 pm

NURB

Much more what I expected. I like it.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to branding, packaging, & retail design