Close

New Windows 8 logo -beautiful or ugly?

Postby Deformat » February 20th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Deformat
step two
step two

blog.gsmarena.com/windows-logo-gets-redesigned-for-windows-8/

Personally, I like the way it looks, but I think that if they would have kept it pluricolored it would've been better than being a Mac logo copy...

Re: New Windows 8 logo -beautiful or ugly?

Postby phillydun » February 20th, 2012, 1:42 pm

phillydun
step two
step two

My thoughts exactly Deformat

Postby engio » February 20th, 2012, 2:38 pm

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

Mac logo copy, really? Please elaborate.

I like it. Fits the new UI, maintains the old window grid. The perspective of the flag and the flat cross keeps it interesting and not totally expected. I would perhaps make it even more apparent by increasing the width of the negative space.

Just the other day I was looking at the single colored wavy flag logo on a button and thought that it was a pretty good logo. This was a bigger leap forward. It was time to move on from multi-color, and also curves and rounded corners. 2012 it's hip to be square.

Postby jurrasix » February 20th, 2012, 2:54 pm

jurrasix
step two
step two

In no way do I see a resemblance to Apple/Mac, so I'm not sure where that came from. I think the new logo is actually a Window and not a flag anymore. The perspective hints at the fluidity and movement that is now a key experience in the Metro UI. I'm not sure why they went with that blue, or if it's flexible in use in terms of color (I would assume yes). I've seen reactions go both ways, but at the end of the day I feel like it's not amazing and it's not offensive. It lands it the middle and I'm ok with that. I feel like Microsoft as a comapny, Windows as a product is already so big and recognizable in any form that it wouldn't really suffer or gain from this redesign, but I understand their desire for something fresh for what is "a new era" of OSs.

Here's some pieces to read on the redesign, one from MS, one from pentagram (the firm who did the work).

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bl ... -logo.aspx
http://pentagram.com/en/new/2012/02/new ... rosoft.php

Postby yo » February 20th, 2012, 3:38 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think it is successful. It ties nicely to their metro mobile theme, hands down some of the best windows UI work. I think that connection is a nice one to build on as we see future desk top OS's become further informed by easier to use mobile OS's

Surprisingly, it also goes back to their roots really nicely. It looks like it was informed by the Windows 1.0 mark. It is a nice contemporary expression of that theme.
Attachments
gsmarena_001.jpg
gsmarena_001.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 8426 times
gsmarena_002.jpg
gsmarena_002.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 8426 times

Postby bngi » February 20th, 2012, 3:58 pm

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

Long long long over due, and I def like it. It doesnt give me the awful chills like when i see the old ones.

Agree on the negative space as engio stated. Also, might not be perfect alignment between the elements, for my eyes atleast. Spacing between the window and the text. dot on the 'i' poking up just slightly. 'TMs' and 'Rs' doesnt make it better either.

I have a tough time seeing how it is copying Apple except for going minimalistic, which im sure apple hasn't patented (yet!)
The color feels a bit cliché atm, but I have a hard time seeing it in a different one.

Well, it looks 95% Finished. But IMO there is some adjusting left to do, it is however MS so I do not except it to be 100%.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

Postby jon_winebrenner » February 20th, 2012, 8:39 pm

jon_winebrenner

I can already hear the comments:

"They paid Pentagram HOW MUCH to redesign THAT LOGO??!!??"

I love it. Especially in context to the original Windows 1.0 logo. Simple, concise, instantly recognizable.

Postby NURB » February 20th, 2012, 8:44 pm

NURB

Those who can't see that little image so closely...

I actually kind of prefer the 1.0 "window" to the odd 2-point perspective window. I think it's a clean take on the logo, and it certainly does resonate with their upcoming Metro graphics. I like the type and proportion, but I'm not totally sold on the whole thing. Like bngi said, it feels like 90% complete.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby dexigner20110 » February 20th, 2012, 10:17 pm

dexigner20110
step two
step two

I agree that it looks almost done, I think the left logo isn't in harmony with everything else. Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a good solution. If I had more time I would give it a try

Postby mrtwills » February 20th, 2012, 10:59 pm

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization

I think it looks like the flag for Greece. But it's better then just a picture of a lion.

Postby dexigner20110 » February 21st, 2012, 12:38 am

dexigner20110
step two
step two

now that you mention it, it really does in a way!!!
Anyone up for a redesign session?

Postby ADD » February 21st, 2012, 6:35 am

ADD
step four
step four

+1, I am not very convinced with logo..

At initial stage of brand launching, you might need graphical logo explaining what that product or service is.
However, established brand like windows… why are there two windows...One graphical saying I am windows & another text...Saying me too windows. (Look at apple’s graphical logo; it will give the sense of its brand.)

The graphical logo from window8 is not very strong element as alone... to define its brand.

I wish to maintain the old vista logo... But there is a thought from the new logo design team is “The logo from the vista look like a flag than windows”.

Coming back to this design…I will prefer to maintain windows text here without graphics…& not with blue…
Here, my interpretation based on this windows8 logo.
Attachments
windows8.jpg
windows8.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 8218 times

Postby Mr-914 » February 21st, 2012, 7:57 am

Mr-914

I like it, but there is something oddball with the graphic. Every time I glance at it, it looks like it's falling over. Then I look close and it seems correct.

Yo is spot on with how this works well with MS's new UI. I'm pretty excited to actually use it. Looks good!
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby NURB » February 21st, 2012, 8:58 am

NURB

mrtwills wrote:But it's better then just a picture of a lion.

Ha! Nice burn.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Re: New Windows 8 logo - beautiful-ish

Postby Playdo » February 21st, 2012, 10:11 am

Playdo
step three
step three

I think it's a hell of an improvement over the previous logos.

I'd like to see it refined further and to be a standalone logo. The text overpowers it and, as mentioned, it restricts minimalism.

It is nice to see Windows dress up and become fashionable.

mrtwills wrote:I think it looks like the flag for Greece. But it's better then just a picture of a lion.

On first sight, I thought of the Scottish flag :)

Go to the Next Page

Return to branding, packaging, & retail design