New Windows 8 logo -beautiful or ugly?

That is nicer. I would use more metro flavor colors, though. Google now owns the board game color scheme (red blue green yellow).

I’m going to have to call ‘bullocks’ on this new Windows logo - it defines the very essence of generic and bland!

So, what are their logo claims:

1 - a ‘window-like’ icon
2 - the name ‘Windows 8’
3 - now in a ‘fresh’ Tron-blue color

Please.

They’ve lost the essence of their logo completely. There is something familiar (and yes, ‘old’) about their wavy window logo that I think should really be brought forward to the new ‘feeling’ of their Windows 8 logo. As it is, this implied 4-pane literal window looks old, tired and generic. There’s nothing personally that gets me excited about this logo, or makes me passionate about it.

I would also argue that at some point, you have to look at the window pane without the ‘windows 8’ mark and see how it stands by itself. After all, they need to think about all of the ways the mark can and will be used, and at some point, if they’ve built a good enough mark, that would be an aspiration of the window pane - see Apple, Nike, Starbucks, etc. As it sits now, it’s a slightly perspective series of blocks. Not very inspiring.

I see a very reactionary, safe and tired logo with nothing ventured and with absolutely no aspirational ‘oomph’ to have it last long.

Paging the Arnell Group…I think this one may represent another ‘Tropicana’-sized event…

[quote=“dc_design”] There’s nothing personally that gets me excited about this logo, or makes me passionate about it.

I agree totally, it doesn’t attract in any way

I think the logo looks incomplete, it is a nice evolution but it doesn’t feel like a great execution. I have to also chuckle a bit at industrial designers trying to be graphic designers. I can generally tell when a graphic designer tries to design a product, and similarly in general IDers have an equally challenging time with graphics and logos. I in no means am disqualifying opinions though- design can’t be written by everyone, but for the most part everyone can read it.

That said this logo isn’t very special, but its rare to find a modern corporate logo that is.

Thumbs up on the new New Windows 8 branding. Nicely integrated into new mobile and desktop products. I like the clean, classy and colorful look.

I’m not crazy about it but I do like the minimalist approach. Maybe Pentagram can bring some style and sophistication to the bland UI world of Microsoft as well. I’ll take a stab… maybe something like this:
Windows-8.jpg

I think they should drop the windows Logo on the left or drop the word Windows itself. Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a great combination. I tried windows 8, it’s great!!!

I think they should drop the windows Logo on the left or drop the word Windows itself.

Maybe just the logo and the 8 would be a great combination.

Nailed.

Ford doesn’t modify it’s logo for every model …

Or even better: Just use the old WP 7.5 logo (white logo on red square) and add an 8, you’ll get a more stylish logo.

Out of some retarded reason, I couldn’t edit the above post. Some Chrome error.

Nevermind, this is what I mean via a new logo idea:

Deformat: Like the Mondrian feel to your earlier post.

Lew: How about this: do you think that graphic design has any effect on Windows sales?

whoa… I lost track of this topic… sorry Ray.

do you think that graphic design has any effect on Windows sales?

From this Boomer’s point of view; no. In a day of rampant piracy, all I want to know when I buy a product is if it is actually made by the company whose name is on the package; constantly altering a logo is confusing. Take the blue oval; I don’t even have to name the company and you know who I am referring.

And yes. People are so inundated by a constant stream of advertising hype touting products and features that it’s virtually impossible to know what is what, what is new, or why one needs it.

e.g. A real annoyance to me is the constant media “updating” Apple does to the iPhone series; why isn’t it always simply sold as the iPhone; the product should always bear the latest technology without having to “tell” everyone it does. Of curse Apple isn’t the only practitioner on this style.

Much more what I expected. I like it.

Def like it!

Feels close to its heritage without looking dusty and dated.

They needed a reboot in all ways - product, image, brand, perception, user-base, etc.

I think the Surface tablets (if they work like they seem to) are going to go a long way toward helping reboot their products, so I think the logo is fine - not complicated, doesn’t look same-ole, same-ole AND still signifies who they are.

I think Microsoft assigned logo designing team were superstitious and lacked vision when designing that Windows 8 logo.
Otherwise they wouldn’t have used that over simplified 2 point perspective & that light blue single coloured logo.
This colour is mainly used to chase bad spirits in the Arab world, Microsoft may have wanted to chase some Gremlins away…?
The logo itself tends to over simplify the window idea down to a boring level.
I wouldn’t expect anything more of an up to a 7 year old boy drafting it, while anyone older simply failed to do the job.
It fails to transfer the sophistication that was present in previous logos, a legacy that started in Windows 3.1 and apparently died with the last sophisticated logo - Windows 7 .
My Verdict on the Logo:
UGLY - for Colour choice,
UGLY - for Single colour usage,
UGLY - for over simplified design.

Looks great on my Lumia 1020 as the home icon, also looks good on startup screens. Clean, contemporary, simple. Moving away from the faux kindergarten facade of the rainbow now owned by Google.

Cameron: In spite of what I’ve said earlier in this thread, I agree. It works perfect as the Lumia home button.

I’ve gotten used to the logo. At first I thought it was boring and a stupid move. But it works on the devices. Maybe because it’s more minimal I came to appreciate it, the more wavy logos maybe were nice at first but they become boring over time. At least the minimal logo does not pretend to be stimulating. I don’t know if that makes sense. I don’t think the logo is there yet though. Maybe it does need a bit more of a dynamic quality or tension.