Wine Bottle Code?

Think it must be filling or labelling. Seems that one brand/type had all the same code and different from another type that had the same looking bottle from the same brand. From what I could see looking at a few random samples…

Tried google?

R

Tried google?

Surprisingly little information. All that seems to come up “bump” or “dot” is the depression on the bottom of the bottle (the punt).

I was just curious, nothing to loose sleep over. There are a number of wineries in San Luis Obispo county, I’ll stop by some afternoon and ask someone.

According to one of my classmates who worked at Owen-Illinois. The bumps are to indicate the mold number so incase there is a defect they can track it.

I am going to guess that R is correct. Looks like to me that this is a coding system for the filling line our maybe some sort of category management. Proper bottles for proper wine. This is just a guess so I could be wrong.

I’m dying for an answer. I’ve always been fascinated by those bumps.

Cool observation

I vote that it’s mold QC indicators… Doesn’t seem like enough dots to have much information about brands or model

It would be interesting if thoose dots controlled the level it’s filled, but I’d guess the amt is controlled by the filling machines (750 ml for example)

I’m going to go for mold code on another review. I make my own wine and some of the empty bottles they provide (some not) also have the bumps, so I’d guess not specific to a manufacturer or filler.

R

I asked the question of my friend at Saverglass http://www.saverglass.com. He told me he has asked the same question of his engineers and has been told that it indicates the mold cavity number. He also told me that Saverglass considers it ugly and marks the cavity inside the punt. Saverglass produce an extraordinary product.

As has been said above, it’s a binary marker indicating mould cavity.

Indexing indents look different (like a ‘pinch’ of sorts) to make sure the label is in the right spot.

T

I guess it’s better looking than the numbers used in most plastic molding cavities…

This is correct. The glass is from O-I. These bumps can be found on other glass products they make as well such as beer bottles.

solved

Nice find!! I think we can put this one to bed.

I think we can put this one to bed.

Or, at least, stick a cork in it; even if it does look like a beer bottle… . :wink:

busted - it is a beer bottle spec, but I figured it was close enough :wink:

I lost sleep last night fretting about the redundant “identifiers”: “Cavity No.” and “Cavity Identification Device
What does the “device” identify? The confusion. The doubt. My God, will it never end?

I was actually really curious about the features on the side of the bottle… is it for the label to have a slight recess? or for it to roll into the processing machines?

very disappointingly, there doesn’t seem to be any information about the inner volume dimensions, or even the wall thickness, which is why I dug this drawing up in the first place! I need to fit something inside

The image provided is on the basic side of a bottle spec. Wall thickness is hard to annotate on the drawing because there are varied thicknesses through the body of the bottle. Prefered method is to use glass weight. The recessed area is used to protect the label from scuffing/damage by moving the label away from the contact points. Some critical things in a typical bottle design is heel and shoulder radius and the pickup bead at the top finish area of the bottle.

thanks Boosted561, good info. You’d definitely be in a position to know a lot about beer bottles!

just since I remembered your beer tasting stories… I just stuck this up. Some work we’ve done with beer taste testing. Your on the job beer tasting training still sounds completely awesome after all this time

Wall thickness is hard to annotate on the drawing because there are varied thicknesses through the body of the bottle. Preferred method is to use glass weight.

This all started when my wife enlisted me in a “craft project”. Who better than a trained, professional designer, right? Yeah, right. Wayyy too nit-picky I am… My observation, having now dissected two or three dozen wine bottles, is that the wall thickness is all over the place; anywhere from about 1/8" to less than 1/16" in two instances. Cylindricality is also not even a concern.

And then it hit me… it’s a wine bottle yer cryin’ out loud. It isn’t intended to interface with anything else, other than the filling machine, and you when you uncork it. And it meets both of those requirements perfectly.

It’s tons-o-fun to explore manufacturing technology though. It’s why I became an industrial designer.