The Future of Brands

Hi! So I’m currently working on an MA in Design and Branding Strategy, and we’ve got a group project for our course about the future of design. Our team has chosen to research and discuss how design will affect the future of branding.

Aside from traditional marketing methods, many brands are looking to create new and innovative ways to connect with their consumers in order to further differentiate themselves from the competition. For example, Coke has the Coca-Cola World in Atlanta, Guinness has the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin, and there are numerous Lego Worlds. All of these physical places have been designed in a way to further draw consumers into having more of and emotional connection with a brand. Some brands are also using co-creation as a part of their design process, or social media to further connect with consumers.

So what are your thoughts on how design will affect the future of brands, especially with how brands will connect with their target audience?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I dunno, it sounds like wagging the dog. Call me old-fashioned, but I have always followed the rule that the brand reflects the values of the customer and the product reflects the value of the brand.

I really see design as limitless with brand and other business factors holding it back. For example, the planned obsolescence business model is necessary for some industries to stay profitable at levels they deem necessary. Design can certainly make a cell phone to last greater than 18 months and possibly make an emotional connection with the end user. But that runs afoul to the needs of the business.

As for design enhancing brand, I think the biggest trend is obviously social networks. Right now I think it is extremely early and there is a great amount of room for more design innovation in that arena to create a brand connection.

You are probably aware of there value, but I always like what Interbrand has to say, http://www.brandchannel.com/home/ .