Close

Re: Sun Chips Bio-Bag a Bust

Postby Hoodzy » October 7th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three

Is this the case for all packaging that bio degrades. Or the type of plastic they used?

Postby PackageID » October 7th, 2010, 4:23 pm

PackageID

The short answer is yes this is the case with all bio-plastics. For them to degrade they need to be tended which a standard landfill does not provide. Here is a link that explains it. http://environment.about.com/od/recycli ... adable.htm
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Postby Hoodzy » October 7th, 2010, 5:11 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three

iab wrote:
Hoodzy wrote:Shows how much the public are willing to deal with in regards to saving the environment.....

I can't blame them as I am still waiting for a quantifiable definition of sustainable. Without a definitive benefit, it can easily be argued green is just a feel-good measure and a loud bag is easily more annoying than some ambiguous "good".

Well to the laymen it may be some ambiguous good. However to me a plastic bag that will never disappear as opposed to a compostable one is simply more then feel good.

As in this link "it will fully decompose in about 14 weeks when placed in a hot, active compost pile or bin, Frito-Lay says."

The bag was simply never meant to travel to a landfill. Of course most people don't have composts.. but that leads to the design of a system which is something different altogether.

To quantify sustainability it's something that can go on forever so.

Postby iab » October 12th, 2010, 11:17 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

By definition, without the layman embracing sustainability, it is only a feel-good exercise. 1 person is insignificant, 1 billion people can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, it all starts with the individual, but there needs to be meaning for a lot of individuals to have impact. And again, without quantifing the outcomes, you will only have faith. While that works well with religion, it is an albatross for the green movement.

Previous

Return to branding, packaging, & retail design