Close

Re: WTF? - Identity and Branding

Postby Lmo » August 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Lmo

strapline?

Thanks wallflower. I wasn't familiar with that term. It refers to a sentence added at the end of an advertisement.

i.e. " Ford. Where quality is Job #1" -or- "Budweiser. The King of Beers." Or "Why do it right, when we can do it over?" (an old company I worked for...) etc.

But a strapline is a series of words, not an image (logo). So what I'm trying to find is the term for a " visual strapline "; if there even is one.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby Travisimo » August 13th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Lmo wrote:
strapline?

...But a strapline is a series of words, not an image (logo). So what I'm trying to find is the term for a " visual strapline "; if there even is one.

I think it'd be the "Design Language" or "trade dress" for a product... most companies that use design have built a consistent look, and in the best sense its abstract form and details that represents company's "big idea" of their brand.

Packaging designers usually do this really well...

BTW, another term I've heard that's similar to "strapline" is "tagline"

Postby beanworks » September 20th, 2010, 5:37 am

beanworks
step one
step one

Wow, the sherwin Williams logo holds a terrifying memory for me. When I was little I used to think it was a Christmas ornament covered in blood. To make things worse, the sign was on the way to Gramma's house. I never liked gramma's house.
Brian E.

Postby wallflower » September 29th, 2010, 10:06 am

wallflower
step four
step four

LMO - Perhaps the word you're thinking about is 'slogan' ?

definition of slogan by the Free Online Dictionary ...
A phrase expressing the aims or nature of an enterprise, organization, or candidate; a motto. 2. A phrase used repeatedly, as in advertising or promotion

Postby wallflower » September 29th, 2010, 10:21 am

wallflower
step four
step four

Any clue when the first "logo-ed" brand name appeared?

- I was told in school that the 1st registered trademark was the bass red triangle. (might only be refering to Britain though)

180px-Bass_logo_svg.png
180px-Bass_logo_svg.png (10.84 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

Wiki seems to agree..

Bass was a pioneer in international brand marketing. The Bass Red Triangle was the first trademark to be registered under the UK's Trade Mark Registration Act 1875, as trade mark number 1.[13] The 1875 Act came into effect on 1 January 1876 and that New Year's Eve, a Bass employee waited overnight outside the registrar's office, in order to be the first in the queue to register a trademark the next morning. In fact, Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton Limited received the first two registrations, the first being the Bass Red Triangle for their pale ale, and the second the Bass Red Diamond for their strong ale.[14] The trademarks are now owned by Brandbrew SA, an Interbrew subsidiary based in Luxembourg

Postby cg » September 29th, 2010, 1:50 pm

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization

"Product branding first emerged in ancient Mesopotamia, the birthplace of cities and writing. So claims David Wengrow, an archaeologist at University College London, who says that bottle stops stamped with symbols some 5000 years ago are evidence of the first branded goods.

Around 8000 years ago, village-dwelling Mesopotamians began making personalised stone seals, which they pressed into the caps and stoppers used to seal food and drink.

Originally these goods would have been traded directly with neighbours and travellers. But when urbanisation began - a little over 5000 years ago - city residents increasingly had to deal with products of uncertain origin.

Wengrow says the symbols in caps and stoppers came to play an important role in telling people about the quality and origins of products such as oils and wine. He has described how the seals might have been used to ensure quality control, to give provenance for goods or to show that they conformed to a standardised system. By looking at the symbol on a wine stopper, says Wengrow, consumers came to know whether or not to trust that bottle "

Previous

Return to branding, packaging, & retail design