Close

Peter Arnell Book... say what?

Postby NURB » May 17th, 2010, 1:49 pm

NURB

Gotta hand it to the guy...

Arnell became infamous in the ad business after Tropicana paid him $35 million to redesign its juice cartons — and sales of the OJ brand collapsed amid a storm of protest from consumers who liked the old design better.

$35 million!?!?! Seriously!?! I had no idea that's what they dropped on that. And from what it sounds the guy is a complete name-dropping lunatic. 50 oranges a day? Come on.

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10006813/peter-arnell-advertisings-anti-midas-writes-a-book-about-why-he-eats-50-oranges-a-day/?tag=content;selector-perfector
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Re: Peter Arnell Book... say what?

Postby PackageID » May 17th, 2010, 2:03 pm

PackageID

NURB wrote:Gotta hand it to the guy...

Arnell became infamous in the ad business after Tropicana paid him $35 million to redesign its juice cartons — and sales of the OJ brand collapsed amid a storm of protest from consumers who liked the old design better.

$35 million!?!?! Seriously!?! I had no idea that's what they dropped on that. And from what it sounds the guy is a complete name-dropping lunatic. 50 oranges a day? Come on.

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10006813/peter-arnell-advertisings-anti-midas-writes-a-book-about-why-he-eats-50-oranges-a-day/?tag=content;selector-perfector

What a Jackass. He is notorious for being paid big bucks to destroy brands.
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Postby NURB » May 17th, 2010, 2:16 pm

NURB

I was just re-reading that Pepsi/Tropicana/Arnell thread and someone mentioned him being called The Bernie Madoff of Advertising. I can see why now.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby bngi » May 17th, 2010, 2:18 pm

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

Wow, googling his name turns up quite a collection of none-flattering articles, "worst 14 bosses"-List among others.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

Postby joyride » May 17th, 2010, 3:00 pm

joyride
step four
step four

So with so many major disasters, why do people keep using him? I would suspect that pepsi would have done some research before putting out that much loot...Or is this just another one of those business-people/politic moves that I am still to green to understand?

Postby Mr-914 » May 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Mr-914

I think people use Arnell for the same reason that people read horoscopes. It's easier on the conscious to give up a decision to a higher athority. Pepsi believed in Arnell because he charges $35 million. At the end of the day, Pepsi was still the one to approve their design, and they chose unwisely. Perhaps we should argue that Arnell is incapable of selling the best idea to their clients?

What this does make me think about is how it would be nice to have a better organization selling the benefits of GD, ID, etc. If clients know how to pick a good designer, less charlatans will be tarnishing our names.

Postby bennybtl » May 18th, 2010, 10:06 am

bennybtl
step four
step four

50 oranges, is like 3750 calories. I won't say that I doubt he eats many oranges, but c'mon. All that sugar, all those calories. All that acid in your digestive tract every day all day? How can that even work?

Postby bngi » May 18th, 2010, 10:12 am

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

Maybe he just hurls them at his peons?

Or just use the bag as a non-bruising weapon.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

Postby PackageID » May 18th, 2010, 10:38 am

PackageID

He does eat a ridiculous amount of oranges. I have met him. His hands are orange. He used to weigh around 350lbs and lost a ton of weight. Maybe oranges are the secret to weight loss.
Attachments
PeterArnell_afterANDbefore_260x626.jpg
PeterArnell_afterANDbefore_260x626.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

Postby Greenman » May 18th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Greenman
full self-realization
full self-realization

I dunno, maybe he should switch to blueberries so that his hands are purple all day, you know like the same result from ink packs in stolen cash have...oh wait.
All dots connect, even the tiny blue one

Return to branding, packaging, & retail design