Brand Fundamentals in ID education

I saw this today and immediately thought of this topic. This packaging and POP was designed by a Third year student from University of Cincinnati. This student as you can see has carefully thought our the packaging, the consumer, the POP and how they all relate to each other. They have taken the experience in buying the Whiskey in mind and how it effect all of the different sense. I feel that all of us should have at least one of these projects in school that drives us to think of the consumer, the purchase drivers and the emotions and ritual that happen in that purchase.

I have attached the blurb written about it.

Designed by Rachael Stefanussen , a third year Industrial Design student at the University of Cincinnati:

"The goal of the project is to develop the next generation packaging and point-of-purchase display for Basil Hayden’s Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The redesign must preserve the values and personality characteristic of the Basil Hayden brand identity while encouraging an increase in sale and popularity. The redesign must not only do justice to the heritage of bourbon as a drink, but also celebrate the delicate, refined characteristics that are unique to Basil Hayden’s.

The form of the bottle hints at that of a flask, and the swing tag allows the emboss on the glass to be the only label after purchase. The display requires consumers to open the cabinet to purchase a bottle. This activity presents consumers with the sensations of the ideal bourbon experience: the weight of a heavy cabinet door, the smell of aged oak, and the sight of a glass tumbler on a tray."