What software do you use??

This was brought up in another topic so I thought I would spin it out to new thread. The Question was… What software packages are used in the Branding/Merchandising world. I think this would be great to hear and maybe we could even learn a bit from each other. I will start:

Adobe CS3
3DS Max 2010 Design
AutoCAD
SolidWorks

But everything starts from hand sketching.

Illustrator
Solidworks
CorelDraw (yes, it’s actually pretty handy at times)
SketchUp
Rhino
Photoshop
some AutoCAD, but very little if I can help it.

FormZ
Photoshop
Illustrator
and a little bit of SketchUp

I have had Maxwell but I haven’t really got into it yet.

Illustrator CS3
Photoshop CS3
Form-Z

I’ve played with other 3D softawre packages, but for what I do, FormZ is easy, it can produce some very nice renderings, and it translates well enough to our engineers using AutoCAD and Solidworks. I don’t see any need to change.

Illustrator CS3
Photoshop CS3
Solidworks
Rhino/Vray
Sketchbook Pro

Alias Autostudio
Pro E WF 3
Autodesk Showcase
Adobe CS3
Sketchbook Pro 2010

Sketchbook Pro 2010
Rhino
Flamingo
Hypershot
Ashlar Vellum 2D
Illustrator CS3
Photoshop CS3
Acrobat Professional 8.1
Word 2003

Illustrator CS3
Photoshop CS3

I have never really used Form-Z. We have it in our office but have never found the time to pick it up. Has anyone ever use Strata?

I also use these two. More Sketchbook Pro than Rhino

Adobe CS3 Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
Rhino
AuxPecker
V-ray
Painter IX -for linework and some shading/rendering on Intuos, looking
forward to page rotate on CS4 and/or checking out SBP 2010
iTunes
Firefox
a little little Pro E
learning Solidworks

Yes, I have used Strata in the past. After using FormZ for so long it was hard for me to get my head around it as it’s not as robust (this was 4 years ago though) as FormZ. The renderings were easy to set up and gave some nice results.
I was using it at a branding company and they used it a lot to show their packaging designs with it so it could be right up your alley.

I have always wanted to get into Sketchbook (a friend of mine works for Autodesk) but I had a real issue with the eye/hand coordination thing between the tablet and the screen. I guess if I sprung for a touch screen I’d probably love it much more, but I’m a real traditional kind of guy and love the smell of markers in the morning.

Do you use a tablet ?

Yeah I have a tablet. I used to use a cintiq but we no longer hav e that in the office. I struggle a bit with the tablet and SB Pro as well.

alias/autodesk studio/autostudio…whatever the kids are calling it these days
illustrator 10 and photoshop 7 (on my non-leopard equipped mac, i need to get with the times and update to CS4)
a touch of rhino
UG (just for a couple basics though)
itunes to keep the ears happy while using the others

When I was at Smurfit Stone Display Group I was using:

Illustrator
Photoshop
ArtiosCAD
Strata 3D

Now that I’m at Graphic Packaging I’m using:

Illustrator
Photoshop
ArtiosCAD
ArtiosCAD 3D Alpha testing (tremendous pain, still working on development)
Esko’s Visualizer (Kinda neat but I’m not sure the time is worth the results)
Prezi (great online presentation tool)

I’ll also be trying out Sketchbook Pro shortly.

Since I’ve been here, I’ve been on a mission to get Strata 3D back. I think I may be finally getting that in the next few months. But it may be a little too late since I’m doing much more administrative things than actually designing things.