Brand Identity

I don’t think for one second that HD shys away from the association with the biker gangs.

I may be blurring the line between mystique and and reality, but you don’t for two seconds actually believe that Harley-Davidson (or the average customer) condones, or associates itself with, racist activities, the sale of illegal drugs, stolen firearms and property (motorcycle parts), extortion, white slavery, prostitution, and murder … do you? I think HD owners associate themselves with the “freedom” that these groups may elicit, not organized crime gangs.

But, I did find this picture. The gentleman in the beret, and black T-shirt (second row, center, with skull and crossbones) is William “Willie” G. Davidson, Senior VP and head of HD Styling. He is surrounded by members of the Boozefighters, one of the oldest motorcycle clubs in the US; . “A drinking club, with a motorcycle problem.”, they maintain that they are not 1%ers. Nor do they look like it (note women and children present). Somehow I just don’t see any self-respecting, bad-ass, group of Hell’s Angels or Outlaws, posing for a a group shot at the HD Museum, let alone even being at the museum.