Your best piece...

Being Friday, and since it’s been a while, here’s one of my more recent projects, this one was just for fun.

I thought I would throw some new work up here. These are some new Dove Heart Boxes you all should see popping up shortly. I never thought I would be so passionate about a heart. :smiley: Enjoy!!

Pack ID: That’s great work. I forgot about this thread. Inspiring!

I hope we see that in the shops over here. I’d like to get my fingers on it to “look” at the
packaging. (and chocolate)

Thanks. It was my baby for a couple years. This is an example of corporate CPG marketing getting behind design. Our old hearts were very traditional and bland and through research, tons of sketches, moods, and lots of selling we were able to bring a more contemporary look and feel. It also has a “soft touch” coating on the tin itself.

Justin, when something like that ships, does it come in another box to protect the bow and finishes on the package?

They are in a thermoform tray which acts as a display tray, as well as a thermoform on top which is disregarded. The two thermoforms separate the hearts by about a 1/4 of an inch which keeps them from moving in transit. This protect the bow and coating. All of that then goes into corrugated shipper. There are 12 hearts in the display.

And being Friday, here’s a new one, I was the initial lead designer for a few months and then when some decision makers changed on the client side and I was promoted we handed it off to another lead for a fresh perspective and new start.

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2011/01/polaroid-booth-at-ces.php

Initial Design

Good stuff.

More Dove hearts…

Target gifting line. I was the Art director on this although the cylinder was a structural design I did from a previous project.

Greenman I guess I never clicked on the link. That is some AWSOME work. I have to say that I wrote Polaroid off a long time ago, but I will start following them now. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Package, that was a really long project, in fact we started back in May 2010. I won’t take credit for the final design because I transitioned it to one of our other senior designers, who rocked it, and then had to spend two weeks in Vegas. I kept involved, but mostly in an advisory role on the build/production side. I might have better shots to share soon.

Your Dove projects are great, they appear more boutique, but not stuffy. This reminds me of a thread from a year or so back where you were looking for new ways to target the brand, it looks like you solved some of those challenges well, what’s the back-story?

Thanks. The Hearts where two years in the making and lots of research on the emotions of valentines day.

The others came out of a gifting intuitive to create just what you were thinking a boutique but not too premium offering. This is a Target exclusive item and was in the top 50 percent of Targets gifting items sold this Christmas I designed the structure and gave creative direction on the graphic.

We don’t get too involved in packaging unless we’re dealing with our Far East clients - or commercializing a product ourselves - but there is one project in particular that I championed for Black & Decker.

The classic B&D recipe is an interesting, small consumer product wrapped in a two piece, heat-staked blister with paper card for POP wow, a folded instruction manual and empty areas in the blister for any accessories that might come with the product. When a consumer buys the neat little product, he/she uses a knife and destroys the blister just enough to pull the product out from the torn blister’s depths - and then the blister, it’s POP card and the instruction manual take a dive in the trash - Few consumers try to separate the materials to recycle, so the bulk of these packages end up in landfills.

I designed both the products and the packaging on the two images attached. My goal was not aesthetic, as there’s not much flexibility on most B&D projects (maximize pallet volumes = rectangular packaging) so instead, my goal was to completely eliminate packaging waste.

The packaging solution securely holds the product from the factory to the shelf, displays the product for ample POP effect (hanging or standing), allows a user to easily access (only cuts one straight line along a strong tape strip holding the sandwiched blister-box, then cube snaps hold the case together from then on), use and store the product with nothing thrown away. The packaging becomes the kitbox, the POP serves as continual, post-purchase branding (unlimited impressions during the life of the product), provides an instruction panel on the paper card and the user gets to store his/her new product dust free.

Neat in theory but do you really think anyone is going to
A) figure out how to open it as neatly as you’ve shown? I’d just slice it right down the middle.

B)keep the pkg as a kit box? As far as I can see there are no accessories so no need to keep a huge flimsy plastic box. Product goes in a drawer, pkg goes in the garbage.

I like the idea as a concept though.

R

R,

That line of products do in fact have accessories, which was a recurring point of frustration with users of the earlier generation of the line (B&D offered cheap little sheet polypro bags but they tore and in some cases only held the accessories but not the product itself - why bother? I would have agreed with your assertion had I not seen the opposite in the field; B&D conducted user research over a two year period (in about 100 homes around the country - I took part) and the functional aspects of the packaging/POP/kitbox are in response to the findings - people do in fact want to organize products in that category (laser level tools) if given the opportunity, with no added cost and no frustration. As for tearing it apart, if you look closely at that line of tape, you’ll see a big repeating ‘REUSABLE STORAGE CASE - CUT THIS LINE’…and you wouldn’t be able to knife into these cases as they are thicker than simple blisters.

Concept became reality and was well received in the marketplace. B&D later executed the idea again in a scumbuster. When executed correctly, this is a valuable way of combining the benefits of clear blister packaging without the waste.

Cool. Sounds successful. Just couldn’t tell those points from the pics so was wondering. You’ve made it pretty clear. Good stuff. Features/benefits for free are always great.

R

Generatewhatsnext: Now that is what I call good design. Great job. Nice to see a designer getting welcomed into the research side & appropriate solution that balances the needs of all stakeholders (namely the need of B&D to store the product, the store to display the product and the end users need of organization).

Thanks - it’s what we do :wink: