$35,000 Prizes for Foreign-born Designers

The Vilcek Foundation is seeking applicants for the 2014 Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Design.

Three winners will each receive a $35,000 unrestricted cash prize.

Eligible candidates will be foreign-born professionals working in the fields of product, graphic, digital or social design.

Applicants must be naturalized citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., and no more than 35 years old as of January 1, 2014.

DEADLINE: August 14, 2013

No fee to apply.

For more information about eligibility requirements, guidelines and online application, please visit http://www.vilcek.org.

For any question, please contact creativepromise@vilcek.org

What possible difference does the applicant’s age make? I find the practice of any form of discrimination irksome, and especially this one.

I invite you to explain your criterion.

Lew, I had the same reaction. I supposed at first read that it had to do with categorizing “creative promise”. I would argue that creative promise can exist at any age. If an individual lacks “creative promise”, then 35 would be very old to draw that line in any case.

Old people are ugly.

Well … at least I am.

Old and ugly.

Nobody wants to see my picture as the winner.

But you have my permission to use a picture of Brad Pitt in my stead. He’s about my age and pretty.

If we use Brad’s picture, can I enter?

Thank you for your interest in our prizes. The Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in the Arts aim to encourage and support young immigrants who have already demonstrated exceptional achievements and who often face significant challenges early in their careers. This is the reason why there is an age limit.

We also award the Vilcek Prizes, which honors immigrants who have made lasting contributions to American society through their extraordinary achievements in biomedical research and the arts and humanities. Please find more information about these prizes here: http://www.vilcek.org/prizes/overview.html

The Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in the Arts aim to encourage and support young immigrants who have already demonstrated exceptional achievements and who often face significant challenges early in their careers.

Regardless of “already demonstrated exceptional achievements” EVERYONE faces “significant challenges” in life, and not just when they are young. I submit that the opposite is true. To quote film star Bette Davis, “Getting old isn’t for sissies.”

Your Foundation is clearly free to do as it wishes with it’s funds but you are practicing age discrimination and I’m calling you on it.

Disclaimer: Since I am 62 I am obviously biased, and as such, in the interest of open discussion on these boards, I will allow your post to stand.

I am however curious, is your Foundation is “tax-exempt”?

iab, I pictured you more of an Al Pacino type. Old but pretty… … :wink:

Besides… Brad Pitt is old too, he’ll be 50 in December.

You know, if it were for newly-arrived immigrants, I could see that case. There are definite obstacles when you are a new comer.

But whether you immigrate when you are 20 or 40 or 60, I’ll have to side with Lew. I think it would be more difficult at an older age than at a younger age.

I know Brad’s age. I like to think we we separated at birth. :wink:

I know Brad’s age. I like to think we we separated at birth. > :wink:

And that you’re married to his wife’s sister… … . . right?

FOR FOREIGN-BORN DESIGNERS as the TITLE
& Applicants must be naturalized citizens or permanent residents of the U.S

Whats so foreign about it if you dont include other countries ? Messed up